Widgie's very tired

  • Sandler, Zellene E.
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 22, 2001
      I am really concerned about my little one. Her energy level, which was
      pretty low, is now even lower. She rarely gets off the bed except to go to
      the litter box. She's a little bit uncertain on her feet, but then, she's
      hardly walked around in a long time and probably her muscles have become
      soft. I started to think about all the little things she doesn't do anymore.
      I know I shouldn't, but it's hard to stay positive. She's had a few spells
      of vomiting, but this is typical for her. She's also been constipated...I
      think she's just too tired to push stuff out. I am giving her psyllium and
      water in her foodies which has helped a lot. She has also been sneezing
      maybe once a day. I don't think she's got a cold since it is infrequent and
      she's not stuffed up.

      Her vet was on vacation and is back tomorrow. I'll call him. She is
      scheduled to see him on October 30th. I am hoping it's just that the meds
      need to be adjusted. She's on 1/2 Lasix and 1/4 Atenolol daily, which are
      pretty low doses. She's not due for an ultrasound til December, but I may
      see if he wants to push it up. I still wonder if the Diltiazem would make
      her feel better than the Atenolol.

      I also have a question for any of you with cats who have asthma as well as
      heart disease. Inhaled asthma meds like proventil (albuterol) speed up the
      heart. The night when Widgie was having trouble breathing, I thought it was
      her asthma and gave her a few whiffs of my inhaler. What I did was partly
      inhale it and breathe onto her. Then I tried spraying it near her, though
      not right in her face. Do you think this could have affected her heart
      enough to cause the heart failure? This has been eating at me since that
      night I rushed her to the vet. As you can tell, I am very sad today.

    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2001
        Zellene,

        How is her thyroid function?

        I hope she's OK...

        Laura

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2001
          I will have him check it again. She was hyperthyroid and had the I131
          treatment. I always ask for a T4 level to see if it has dropped too low. But
          she hasn't been displaying other hypOthyroid signs, like being cold or
          gaining weight. I am going home soon and hope to see her bright eyed and
          talking to me from the bed. I still open the front door slowly thinking
          she's going to run out, even though it has been SOOO long since she's been
          at the door to greet me.

            >I will have him check it again. She was hyperthyroid and had the I131
            >treatment. I always ask for a T4 level to see if it has dropped too low.
            But
            >she hasn't been displaying other hypOthyroid signs, like being cold or
            >gaining weight. I am going home soon and hope to see her bright eyed and
            >talking to me from the bed. I still open the front door slowly thinking
            >she's going to run out, even though it has been SOOO long since she's been
            >at the door to greet me.

          • Mike & Linda Irrgang
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 22, 2001
              I will be praying for you and Widgie.....

              linda

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 22, 2001
                Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you and Widgie. I do hope she gets
                some strength. Sending prayers for you both,
                Jan

                http://joekopecky.homestead.com