what does an enlarged heart mean?

  • dbcjunk2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2010
      Hi all,

      I just posted a very long introduction but wanted to ask some other short questions. Waggles main symptom is wheezing, heavy breathing and an enlarged heart from an x-ray which showed little/no fluid. The vet wasn't very helpful in explaining things.

      What causes an enlarged heart?
      What could be causing the wheezing if not fluid?
      Can they be improved?
      Waggles hates to be restrained, he goes crazy when they do anything to him at the vet, so could he tolerate an echocardiogram? Could they mildly sedate him?

      thanks,
      Dolly
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2010
        Hi Dolly

        Prednisolone is a steroid and unfortunately not good for a cat with heart
        problems. However pancreatitis is also a nasty illness, so I understand you
        are juggling meds. Is there any possibility the pred can be reduced?

        It is vital he gets an ultrasound as soon as possible. An enlarged heart
        can be from a number of reasons and you need a definite diagnosis to get the
        right treatment. Can you see a cardiologist?

        Wheezing can be asthma or allergy or an infection too. Cats can have a
        sedation for the scan, but usually a good vet tech can hold them still.

      • dbcjunk2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2010
          Thanks Lynn for the input. We might be able to lower the pred., it is a reasonably low dose (5 mg every other day, Waggles is 12 pounds, a lot of pancreatitis cats get 10 mg a day) and I've struggled to get it there as he was getting 5 mg one day/2.5 mg the next. I could try 3.75 mg eod but we just recently seem to have settled the inflammation so I'm hesitant. It is so hard to be juggling meds and symptoms.

          I've made an appointment with a cardiologist next Tues. March 16. Fortunately there are 3 clinics in the area and the other 2 had either a 2 or 4 week wait.

          I spoke to the receptionist at the clinic and she said I could be in the room when they do the ultrasound. He's much better when I'm holding him than when they carry him away to do scary things to him :(

          I'm praying and keeping my fingers crossed.

          Dolly