new here and very scared

  • dbcjunk2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 11, 2010
      Hi all,

      I am sorry to say my kitty Waggles has been diagnosed with heart disease but I am fortunate to have found this group. I'm hoping that someone can offer some advice about what I should do next for my kitty.

      Some background:

      We don't know Waggles age as he was rescued 2 years ago as a stray. Probably 15-18 years old. He weighs around 12 pounds and gained almost 3 lb of that in the past 8 months since starting prednisolone.

      In Sept. 2008, he was diagnosed with CRF. Since then his kidney values have been stable aroudn 50 BUN and 3.4 creat. All other values normal.

      In Aug. 2009 he was diagnosed with pancreatitis. That is under control with prednisolone every other day.

      He is also quite arthritic and recently had adequan injections once a week for a month which I think have helped a bit.

      A couple of months ago I noticed him wheezing (periodically) and I mentioned it to the vet. She had a good listen to his chest and couldn't find anything unusual. She thought it might be due to weight gain.

      The wheezing has increased and I've noticed him heavy breathing. I took him to the vet yesterday where they did an x-ray which showed an enlarged heart and little or no fluid accumulation. The vet said the heartbeat sounded irregular.

      He has also been very lethargic and will take a few steps then sit down. Fortunately (touch wood) his appetite is pretty good and he is eating but he seems to have some trouble swallowing, possibly related to his wheezing. The x-ray showed the esophagus pushed out of alignment due to the enlarged heart.

      Waggles medications are:
      5 mg prednisolone every other day,
      Fortekor (ACE inhibitor) 1/2 pill once a day
      zantac (1/8 pill) twice a day
      5 mg methylcobalamin once day (for neuropathy, not diabetic)
      sub q fluids, had been eod now daily 100 ml
      1 mg ondansetron (for nausea) once a day

      The vet said he didn't suggest lasix given the low/lack of fluid and the fact that it's a diuretic and Waggles has CRF. That's about all he did say. He didn't recommend any other medications.

      Is there anything else I can do for my baby? What could be causing the wheezing if there isn't significiant fluid? I won't sit by and let him get worse until he can't breathe (which is pretty much what the vet suggested). I will not let him suffer but at the same time I'm wondering if this is the end or if there is something else to do. With all he's been through, I don't want to prolong his life if it will be uncomfortable but at the same time he's come so far and if another med can help I'm willing to explore that.

      I live near Toronto, has anyone had experiences with a cardiologist in the area? WHat would they likely do for him? Waggles doesn't tolerate vets well, he gets very stressed and I don't know if he would be able to handle too much. Is an echocardiogram a must?

      Thanks for listening. Any input is greatly appreciated.

      Dolly
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2010
        Hi Dolly -- I am also in Toronto. The best cardiologist is dr Regan Williams at the Veterinary Emergency Clinic at 920 Yonge st, just above Bloor, entrance in the back from McMurrich St, 416-920-2002. Or you can go up to the Guelph Veterinary College. Tigger sees Dr Williams, and she is lovely and caring and thorough. I don't know how long it will take to get an appointment with her, tho. They are just great down there, and it's a 24-hour clinic. You do need a thorough exam with echo and ekg with a real cardiologist to ascertain Waggles' exact status. There is no other way to tell what is really wrong. She will also be able to coordinate all the meds. It's a fine balance when a cat has both HCM and kidney disease. You need planty of water to keep the kidneys working right, but not so much that it causes fluid build-up, etc. You do need a close relationship with a cardiologist, no regular vet can really do this as thoroughly. Please keep us posted!!!

        Take care -- Michelle and Tigger Too in Toronto