RE: [FH] Aspirin is toxic?

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2010
      HI Beth; possibly your cat is not yet in danger of clots? I think if she was the vet would have perscribed a thinner of some kind. My vet says 1/3 of a baby aspirin every 3rd day is fine. But, you can use a natural thinner called Nattokinasse without any problems...Now, I'm remembering some kitties do have stomach problems with natto but many take it regularly with no problem. You can get it at any natural food or vitamin store. I gave Max 35 mgs a day and he still developed a mild clot but it resolved overnight, and I have to wonder if the natto was part of the reason. I have upped his dose to almost 100 mgs a day now since he is in more danger now that he's thrown one clot. He's had no stomach problems from it, but maybe we are just lucky. I am not aware of any negative effects of nattokinasse, so from that point of view it may be better than aspirin, and also it helps to disolve clots after they happen as well as to prevent them. good luck...Judi and Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: skyhawk_aopa@...
      Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 13:58:27 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Aspirin is toxic?

      Hi all

      We are trying to figure out if we should give my kitty a tiny bit of aspirin to help avoid a thrombo clot.

      I can't get my head around "aspirin is toxic to cats" and "give her a sliver every three days".

      How do I know I'm not slowly poisoning her, or, making her uncomfortable all the time?

      She is just barely at a decent weight. I'd put her at low-normal at 8lbs 11oz. She should weight at least 9.5 pounds if she were at the right weight.

      I don't want to make her uncomfortable or sick (even with pepcid which I know is supposed to help).

      Neither vet nor cardiologist has mentioned coumadin or any other options for thinning...

      Thanks

      Beth

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2010
        Hi

        Trixi couldn't tolerate aspirin and it made her very sick and ill. We now
        use plavix and one of my other cats uses nattokinase. There are alternatives
        to aspirin if it doesn't suit a cat although there are many here which
        take it with no problems.

        Lyn..