RE: [FH] Re: My cat's problems with Atenolol

  • Carol R.
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
      I do think the manufacturer makes a difference. When we gave Misty Tapazole brand methimazole, she puked it up. We tried a generic brand and she was okay with that. I do think whatever exipients they put in the pills can cause a reaction in different cats. I always got Snowball Sandoz brand injectable ondansetron (anti nausea med), then the pharmacy gave me a different one once and it would sting everytime I gave her an injection. I got them to get me the Sandoz one again and no stinging. Once I find a brand that they can take and not spew up, I never accept any other.

      Sometimes Costco pharmacies only have certain brands that they contract with. They buy in huge quantities from their selected vendors, and that's why they're cheaper. But it's not always good, because we can't get the brands we know work for our kitties.

      Carol & Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
      & the gang

      Snowball's videos
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6bLwo5jPE
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxKQH2mM-d0
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg48_zK3b24
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODcUI5PReXo
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqO6UZ4a3VE

      > To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      > From: czyonov@...
      > Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:37:37 +0000
      > Subject: [FH] Re: My cat's problems with Atenolol
      >
      > Could it be that the manufacturer of the atenolol makes the difference in how the cat reacts to the drug?
      >
      > Mellie has always taken atenolol made by Teva, imprint is 93 and 787 which we've always had filled at RiteAid. We recently had it filled at Costco and the manufacturer is Sandoz with imprint GG L7.
      >
      > I am very hesitant to try switching brands as she's never had a problem with the Teva brand. It is just a thought that the problem could be the brand. What do you think?
      >
      > carol and mellie

    • Carol R.
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2010
        I really agree with this. Kitties' stomachs are so much more sensitive to things like that than our own are. So many drugs that we take and can switch from one brand to another without a problem, you just can't do that with some kitties. A lot of those fillers have a lot of chemicals in them, and cats' stomachs may not be able to break those things down, causing so much more stomach acid to be produced to get the job done... the result is they throw up to get all that acid out of their tummies.

        Carol & Angel Snowball *5/10/91 to 1/1/10*
        & the gang

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o6bLwo5jPE

        I believe that the form you use is probably causing the problems. Each form has different ingredients. For example, most "pills" contain corn starch and other fillers to hold them in a pill shape. Maybe your kitty is sensitive to one of the fillers.

      • JudithG
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2010
          Yes, of course, the drug manufacturer makes a difference. A while back physicians caught on and the suggestion is stay with the brand you are on. Right, tell that to the insurance companies and my health fund.

          One big thing to watch out for is that while the name brand may have sucrose (plain sugar), many generics use lactose. Cats are usually lactose intolerant and avoiding meds with lactose is a good idea (I'm lactose intolerant so this is a big problem with me). L actose intolerance means nauseau, upset stomach, diarrea.

          Judith