Re:Problems with Atenolol?

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
      Hi

      Three of my cats take atenolol. Two started at a low dose and built up to
      full dose over a few weeks. This was to stop any risk of crashing into heart
      failure, which atenolol seems to rarely cause. After the few weeks, they
      had another ultrasound to confirm the atenolol was working and in all cases
      it slowed the heart and caused improvement.

      Th third cat is elderly and started full dose immediately and he is also on
      thyroid meds and has kidney failure. We have switched lasix to spiro and
      there is an alternative of a third diuretic, but I forgot the name of this..
      If his kidney results aren't better, he will taper down the atenolol to
      stop it slowly.

      We also had no side effects with it.