Re:Problems with Atenolol?

  • Darlene Handley
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
      Hi; my experience with Atenolol for my kitty Helmet who had asymptomatic HCM
      was when he was first started on 6.25 twice daily, he was very lethargic at
      first. After his body adjusted he seemed to do better. I have read that
      for cats that are asymptomatic no drug has proven to be beneficial. I think
      following the advice of the Cardiologist is best. When Helmet died, he died
      because he was started on Prednisone for IBD, but his heart wasn't
      monitored. It was monitored by neither me nor the vet. If the IBD hadn't
      occurred I think Helmet would still be with us. I also think had they
      ordered proper f/u monitoring for his heart after a couple weeks on
      Prednisone, the outcome might have been different too.

      Anyway, there is a ton of stuff on the Internet about the benefits and
      drawbacks. I ended up buying a stethoscope to monitor his heart rate. But,
      at the time of his death I was so preoccupied trying to get all his meds
      down him that I'm sure he didn't get every single dose of Atenolol either.
      It's tough when you're trying to do the right thing by them, but watching
      them hate the experience.

      Best of luck.

      Darlene & Angels Boone, Helmet and Bacio

    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
        Hi

        Three of my cats take atenolol. Two started at a low dose and built up to
        full dose over a few weeks. This was to stop any risk of crashing into heart
        failure, which atenolol seems to rarely cause. After the few weeks, they
        had another ultrasound to confirm the atenolol was working and in all cases
        it slowed the heart and caused improvement.

        Th third cat is elderly and started full dose immediately and he is also on
        thyroid meds and has kidney failure. We have switched lasix to spiro and
        there is an alternative of a third diuretic, but I forgot the name of this..
        If his kidney results aren't better, he will taper down the atenolol to
        stop it slowly.

        We also had no side effects with it.