RE: [FH] Problems with Atenolol?

  • Betty Ann
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
      Personally, I would follow the recommendations of Toby's cardiologist. I've
      not monitored Pixel's heart rate; however, if I ever feel a need to do so,
      I'll buy a stethoscope. I know that Pixel's heart rate was pretty high
      before she was started on Atenolol. She's fairly calm at the vet's office
      since she gets boarded (and spoiled) there when I am traveling.

      Pixel has CRF, hypertension, and what her cardiologist called "severe" HCOM.
      (These diseases were actually diagnosed in that order.) She was started on
      Amlodipine (1.25mg once daily) for the hypertension and Tumil-K for low
      potassium levels. 1.5 years later she was diagnosed with the HCOM. For that
      she takes 12.5 mg of Atenolol twice a day. Since her kidney issue makes her
      have a rather acidic stomach, she gets 1/8 of a 75 mg tablet of generic
      Zantac twice daily. I put the Atenolol, Amlodopine and Zantac in size 3 gel
      caps. That way I only have to put 1 capsule and 1.5 caplets in her twice
      each day. She gets baby food Turkey for being such a good kitty.

      I've had no problem with Pixel having any reactions to any of her
      medications.

      Betty Ann

      Pixel (CRF w/HBP & HCOM), Piton, Pipsqueak
      Angels: Tandy, Toni, Snaggles

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
        Hi; my experience with Atenolol for my kitty Helmet who had asymptomatic HCM
        was when he was first started on 6.25 twice daily, he was very lethargic at
        first. After his body adjusted he seemed to do better. I have read that
        for cats that are asymptomatic no drug has proven to be beneficial. I think
        following the advice of the Cardiologist is best. When Helmet died, he died
        because he was started on Prednisone for IBD, but his heart wasn't
        monitored. It was monitored by neither me nor the vet. If the IBD hadn't
        occurred I think Helmet would still be with us. I also think had they
        ordered proper f/u monitoring for his heart after a couple weeks on
        Prednisone, the outcome might have been different too.

        Anyway, there is a ton of stuff on the Internet about the benefits and
        drawbacks. I ended up buying a stethoscope to monitor his heart rate. But,
        at the time of his death I was so preoccupied trying to get all his meds
        down him that I'm sure he didn't get every single dose of Atenolol either.
        It's tough when you're trying to do the right thing by them, but watching
        them hate the experience.

        Best of luck.

        Darlene & Angels Boone, Helmet and Bacio

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
          Hi

          Three of my cats take atenolol. Two started at a low dose and built up to
          full dose over a few weeks. This was to stop any risk of crashing into heart
          failure, which atenolol seems to rarely cause. After the few weeks, they
          had another ultrasound to confirm the atenolol was working and in all cases
          it slowed the heart and caused improvement.

          Th third cat is elderly and started full dose immediately and he is also on
          thyroid meds and has kidney failure. We have switched lasix to spiro and
          there is an alternative of a third diuretic, but I forgot the name of this..
          If his kidney results aren't better, he will taper down the atenolol to
          stop it slowly.

          We also had no side effects with it.