Problems with Atenolol?

  • sparklejunkey
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
      I am thinking of starting Toby on Atenolol after research and reading the posts on here about normal heart rates.
      I am a nervous to start it because his cardiologist says he doesn't really need it, it lacks the evidence from clinical studies to prove any potential benefits, it will be a life-long drug, and if he is taken off of it for any reason, it often causes a rebound effect.
      I also know it can cause increased lethargy and some cats throw it back up.

      What other issues have you all had with Atenolol? Any other side effects I should be aware of? Any other drug interactions? Anything else you can tell me that you think I should know?
      And how are you all monintoring your cat's heart rates?

      Toby was dx with HCM after throwing a clot to his front leg on 1/1/10. The cardiologist says he has a 3/6 murmur. He is on Plavix, asprin, and enalapril. I don't know how to count or monitor his heart rate, but in comparison to my other cat, it is significantly faster. At the vets, it is always reported in the 180-200 range.

      He started the Enalpril in late January and his kidney values went up slightly, but they are reportedly stable now. I've been considering starting the Atenolol once we knew that he is doing well on the elapril. So now, after reading the discussion on here about normal heart rates, I called and asked the cardiologist for the atenolol.

      Any additional info you could pass on would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start him on something that could end up hurting him.
      Thanks!
    • Betty Ann
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
        Personally, I would follow the recommendations of Toby's cardiologist. I've
        not monitored Pixel's heart rate; however, if I ever feel a need to do so,
        I'll buy a stethoscope. I know that Pixel's heart rate was pretty high
        before she was started on Atenolol. She's fairly calm at the vet's office
        since she gets boarded (and spoiled) there when I am traveling.

        Pixel has CRF, hypertension, and what her cardiologist called "severe" HCOM.
        (These diseases were actually diagnosed in that order.) She was started on
        Amlodipine (1.25mg once daily) for the hypertension and Tumil-K for low
        potassium levels. 1.5 years later she was diagnosed with the HCOM. For that
        she takes 12.5 mg of Atenolol twice a day. Since her kidney issue makes her
        have a rather acidic stomach, she gets 1/8 of a 75 mg tablet of generic
        Zantac twice daily. I put the Atenolol, Amlodopine and Zantac in size 3 gel
        caps. That way I only have to put 1 capsule and 1.5 caplets in her twice
        each day. She gets baby food Turkey for being such a good kitty.

        I've had no problem with Pixel having any reactions to any of her
        medications.

        Betty Ann

        Pixel (CRF w/HBP & HCOM), Piton, Pipsqueak
        Angels: Tandy, Toni, Snaggles

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
          Hi; my experience with Atenolol for my kitty Helmet who had asymptomatic HCM
          was when he was first started on 6.25 twice daily, he was very lethargic at
          first. After his body adjusted he seemed to do better. I have read that
          for cats that are asymptomatic no drug has proven to be beneficial. I think
          following the advice of the Cardiologist is best. When Helmet died, he died
          because he was started on Prednisone for IBD, but his heart wasn't
          monitored. It was monitored by neither me nor the vet. If the IBD hadn't
          occurred I think Helmet would still be with us. I also think had they
          ordered proper f/u monitoring for his heart after a couple weeks on
          Prednisone, the outcome might have been different too.

          Anyway, there is a ton of stuff on the Internet about the benefits and
          drawbacks. I ended up buying a stethoscope to monitor his heart rate. But,
          at the time of his death I was so preoccupied trying to get all his meds
          down him that I'm sure he didn't get every single dose of Atenolol either.
          It's tough when you're trying to do the right thing by them, but watching
          them hate the experience.

          Best of luck.

          Darlene & Angels Boone, Helmet and Bacio

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 4, 2010
            Hi

            Three of my cats take atenolol. Two started at a low dose and built up to
            full dose over a few weeks. This was to stop any risk of crashing into heart
            failure, which atenolol seems to rarely cause. After the few weeks, they
            had another ultrasound to confirm the atenolol was working and in all cases
            it slowed the heart and caused improvement.

            Th third cat is elderly and started full dose immediately and he is also on
            thyroid meds and has kidney failure. We have switched lasix to spiro and
            there is an alternative of a third diuretic, but I forgot the name of this..
            If his kidney results aren't better, he will taper down the atenolol to
            stop it slowly.

            We also had no side effects with it.