Hello - PSA, I guess

  • stealthqn
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2010
      Hi all,

      I just wanted to share a small part of my experience with HCM and hope it helps someone out there. I've noticed a few posts with cats not eating after starting on their new heart meds and I just want to recommend to everyone that they have their vet check kidney function right away if that happens.

      My cat was thrown into severe renal failure by either Lasix, or the combo of Lasix and Enalapril and we would have never realized had I not insisted on a blood test because I had read about the possible interaction of the two drugs - my vet refused to believe it was possible. The only detectable symptom was that he quit eating suddenly and started acting nauseated when he'd see food. Because we caught it quickly, we were able to save him with 3 days of slow-drip IV fluids, but it was a near thing. Unfortunately, I had to have him put to sleep one month later - just last week - because his CHF was uncontrollable. Still, I'm grateful that I got that last month with him and he seemed pretty happy to be with me, as well.

      Also, one last thing - for those of you having difficulty pilling, I found that cramming all the pills in those empty gelatin capsules and dipping that in water before pilling him to be a real help. Just thought I'd throw that out there.