weakness in legs

  • maxlevensmom
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2010
      As you know, Max threw a clot to his right rear leg a week ago sunday. He recovered quickly and was walking fine on monday. Today, and a little bit yesterday, I am noticing he has some weakness in both rear legs...he is using them, but limping a little off and on. I almost wonder if he's having a little arthritis since we are having cool and rainy weather and our house is all open here in Mexico, so it's cool and damp. I hope so...because the other possibility would be something to do with clots. Has anyone seen anything like this? He doesn't seem to be in major discomfort...he's still jumping all his normal places (although he never regained his full strength after the clot and jumps with some difficulty.) He's a sleepy 13 year old now, but this is new. I'd love any feedback from anyone with ideas about what this could be. Thanks...Judi and Max
    • goofeygalpal
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
        Judy

        I don't know, i'd probably get him checked out. I know with Tinkerbelle (front leg clot) they told me to do massage therapy on it every four hours, massage the entire leg and paws to keep the circulation going. I also take her in for acupuncture. But i would call the vet

        Susie

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
          Hi Judi

          Only a vet can diagnose that.. I would have him checked for his femoral
          pulse and temperature of paws. If he has a small clot lodged, they can treat
          that immediately. If it's arthritis, you can feel more reassured. Please see
          the vet.

        • Judi Levens
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
            I have to remind everyone that there is no vet here in Mexico who I can trust Max to...I do communicate with his vet at UCDavis via email, and check with this blog to see if I can get any insight...thanks for trying...Judi and Max

            To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
              Interesting, I've never heard of massaging a leg with a blood clot. Have others done this with cats? In people, you're never supposed to massage a leg with clots as they can dislodge and travel to the lungs and/or brain.

              Just curious.

              Thanks,
              Nichole

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
                yes, I've read it over and over, and when Max got the clot a couple of weeks ago I massaged it and the vet said I did just what he would have done, so I think it's important to keep the blood circulating in the limb and prevent it dying and having to be amputated. I was also a little worried about dislodging a clot which might then strike somewhere else, but it's the commonly recommended treatment...Judi and Max

                To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com