Re: [FH] Re:Plavix

  • Pam
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hi,
      Oz has been on Plavix since last June. He's done fine on it. he takes
      1/4 of a pill each day. every drug on the market has a list of side
      effects. There are some drugs I can't take while there may be someone
      else who does OK with the same drugs. I trust Oz's cardiologist and that
      she is doing the best she can for him. Without the drugs, we wouldn't
      have him.
      I do agree that the drugs are meant to help prevent the clots, doesn't
      mean they won't. Until I joined this list, I had never heard of
      nattokinase. Is that something widely used? Oz's cardiologist said at
      his last visit that if the upped dosage of lasix doesn't do what they
      hope, they will probably change around his meds at his visit in April. I
      took him to my regular vet yesterday morning to get his kidney values
      checked, and they're good. Even though his heart is very bad, he's
      stabilized at the moment. We have to take each day as it comes.
      Pam

      elfinmyst@... wrote:

      > Hi Susan
      >
      > I am so sorry you are feeling confused over the clot prevention. Please
      > don't question yourself on treatment. That's a natural part of
      > grieving and
      > there's always going to be 'what if'
      >
      > Trixi had a heart attack caused by an embolism early last year and takes
      > plavix which has been very very successful. Josh had a brain embolism
      > and he
      > takes nattokinase. So I have cats taking both and neither have side
      > effects
      > and both have done well. No drug or supplement can ever stop clots, just
      > help to prevent them. A clot is formed when the heart function isn't
      > working
      > properly and some clots are large and whilst the plavix/Natto can help
      > reduce risk, you can never know for sure.
      >
      > You did a wonderful job with Pye and have nothing whatsoever to blame
      > yourself for. I use both drugs in two different beloved cats and
      > assure you that
      > both are effective but are not definite. A clot can depend on the other
      > drugs given to help the heart function, blood pressure, kidney pressures..
      >
      > Aspirin made Trixi very ill, so she can't have that with the plavix. It's
      > difficult to use drugs with cats as they often have problems with them
      > being
      > toxic. Please be assured you did nothing wrong, and my thoughts and
      > prayers are with you.
      >
      > Lyn
      >
      > _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/
      > <http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/>)

    • Missy Zane
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 4, 2015
        After two years, Sizzle is becoming very resistant to taking his pills, so I'm trying to combine as many as I can into two liquids. This experiment is beginning with Plavix/Diltiazem. He's getting chicken/marshmallow. Ugh... Wedgewood said the sweet marshmallow would disguise the bitter Plavix. I hope they're right!
        Missy

        On 9/4/2015 8:19 AM, Marsha martia@... [feline-heart] wrote:

        Hi Gina,

        That's almost exactly what I do with Brock's Plavix! The local pharmacy
        splits them into quarters and puts each piece inside a capsule. I open
        the capsule, letting the pill drop into the smaller half of the capsule,
        plug it with a Pill Pocket, and wrap the rest of the PP around it. I
        tried liquid Plavix from Wedgewood compounding pharmacy, beef and
        chicken flavor (yeah, right). That didn't go well.

        Marsha & Brock