Re:Plavix

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hi Susan

      I am so sorry you are feeling confused over the clot prevention. Please
      don't question yourself on treatment. That's a natural part of grieving and
      there's always going to be 'what if'

      Trixi had a heart attack caused by an embolism early last year and takes
      plavix which has been very very successful. Josh had a brain embolism and he
      takes nattokinase. So I have cats taking both and neither have side effects
      and both have done well. No drug or supplement can ever stop clots, just
      help to prevent them. A clot is formed when the heart function isn't working
      properly and some clots are large and whilst the plavix/Natto can help
      reduce risk, you can never know for sure.

      You did a wonderful job with Pye and have nothing whatsoever to blame
      yourself for. I use both drugs in two different beloved cats and assure you that
      both are effective but are not definite. A clot can depend on the other
      drugs given to help the heart function, blood pressure, kidney pressures..

      Aspirin made Trixi very ill, so she can't have that with the plavix. It's
      difficult to use drugs with cats as they often have problems with them being
      toxic. Please be assured you did nothing wrong, and my thoughts and
      prayers are with you.

    • Missy Zane
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 4, 2015
        After two years, Sizzle is becoming very resistant to taking his pills, so I'm trying to combine as many as I can into two liquids. This experiment is beginning with Plavix/Diltiazem. He's getting chicken/marshmallow. Ugh... Wedgewood said the sweet marshmallow would disguise the bitter Plavix. I hope they're right!
        Missy

        On 9/4/2015 8:19 AM, Marsha martia@... [feline-heart] wrote:

        Hi Gina,

        That's almost exactly what I do with Brock's Plavix! The local pharmacy
        splits them into quarters and puts each piece inside a capsule. I open
        the capsule, letting the pill drop into the smaller half of the capsule,
        plug it with a Pill Pocket, and wrap the rest of the PP around it. I
        tried liquid Plavix from Wedgewood compounding pharmacy, beef and
        chicken flavor (yeah, right). That didn't go well.

        Marsha & Brock