Fw: [FH] New Here...but not to HCM

  • Tiffany Newman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Tiffany Newman <banditbabe32@...>
      To: personalbest.training <personalbest.training@...>
      Sent: Tue, February 2, 2010 12:49:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [FH] New Here...but not to HCM

      Hi Sarah,

      I had a cat who we thought would be difficult to pill and at first she was on the liquid form of benazepril which is an ace inhibitor commonly used in cats with HCM.  This was called Imidapril and it was a couple of drops in the food once per day.  It has no taste so she did not know it was even in there.  If your cat needs to go onto frusemide/lasix for fluid on the lungs there is a liquid version called frusol which again you can put in food.  My cat never seemed to mind the taste of this either.  Your cat only needs to be on aspirin if there is a chance of blood clots and they can usually see how much at risk the cat is on ultrasound.  if there does not appear to be a risk of clotting then there is no need for the aspirin.

      I hope this helps.

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi Sarah; I am so sorry about Riley...and I can relate. Our boy Max refuses to take pills...the one time we forced the issue we practically ruined our relationship with him. What we do is have meds compounded into a liquid and flavored with chicken which we syringe into him. He's gotten pretty used to it, and we follow it with treats. He's never been food motivated either and didn't like treats, but now he loves them. Can you get someone to go to the vet with you who can translate your concerns for him? There are options for meds...there's atenolol and enalapril...I think they are all good. My cat wouldn't take diltiazem either, so we use enalapril and for him it works well. The aspirin may be causing the vomiting. Usually it's not perscribed until the disease is progressed to the point where clots are likely...maybe he could do without it? I'd ask the vet. There is a natural supplement called nattokinasse which works similarlay that may be easier on his stomach and do the same thing. It hasn't been proven in medical trials so the vets don't tend to perscribe it, but it seems to be a good substitute from anecdotal evidence. It must be very hard to be dealing with this in a country where you don't speak the language. At least Germany probably has good vets...I am in Mexico 6 months of the year where the vet situation is dismal...at least where we are.

        Good luck to you...try talking options with your doctor and see if you can get him to talk about the relative severity of Riley's disease and the consequent plan for meds, etc...

        take care...Judi and Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
          Hi Sarah

          Your description of Riley is exactly the same as Trixi. Aspirin made her
          sick, anorexic and very very ill and we had to discontinue it. She takes
          plavix only now and I definitely wouldn't use aspirin in a senstive cat. Trixi
          vomited bile 5 or 6 times a night and this stopped within a day of stopping
          aspirin. I am not sure what dilzem is though, but I`d definitely blame the
          aspirin and ask for either plavix or take nattokinase supplement instead.