New Here...but not to HCM

  • personalbest.training
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
      Hello Everyone!

      I am so thankful to find this support group. I have 4 cats, one of which has HCM (diagnosed Dec 2 2009) His brother died from the same condition at the age of three in 2007 (after a diagnosis the previous year) Riley is five years old. We are American military members living in Germany, and so he sees a German vet. Unfortunately, I speak no German so there is quite a language barrier to overcome. The vet has prescribed him 1/4 Dilzem once/day and 1/4 aspirin once/every three days. The problem is this...Riley is NOT food motivated, so we cannot put the pill in a treat (I have tried everything) We are forced to restrain him every evening to pill him, something that is causing him great stress. That wouldn't be the worst thing if I didn't feel that he was doing worse on the meds...he has become anorexic and has gone from 12 pounds to 9 pounds in three weeks. He is vomiting bile every night. I have talked to vet and they said the meds can do that. Sadly, I just don't think this is fair to him. 10 days ago we stopped his meds (It started because he hid and we could not find him to pill him), and he is eating a bit again and is a lot more bright eyed, and has put on a pound. I just don't know what to do. Is it wrong not to medicate in order to give him a better quality of life? Are there any other medication or treatment options that might be beneficial to try? His brother was on 1/4 Atenolol 1/day, and he only lived one year and suffered an agonizing death by respiratory failure. I just cannot see Riley go through that. I am so sad, worried and frustrated and I do not have anyone to talk to or get help with this over. The vet wants to see him again next month, and she said if his heart looks worse they want to put him on 5 pills a day, something I know we just cannot do. (not because of $$, but because I just don't think Riley can deal with that many pillings.) It is horrible traumatic for him and takes several attempts - we even use a pill gun - and I think that is just too much stress for him. Not to mention how sick the meds are making him . :(

      Thanks for letting me vent. I appreciate any help or feedback.

      ~Sarah
    • Tiffany Newman
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
        I had a cat who we thought would be difficult to pill and at first she was on the liquid form of benazepril which is an ace inhibitor commonly used in cats with HCM.  This was called Imidapril and it was a couple of drops in the food once per day.  It has no taste so she did not know it was even in there.  If your cat needs to go onto frusemide/lasix for fluid on the lungs there is a liquid version called frusol which again you can put in food.  My cat never seemed to mind the taste of this either.  Your cat only needs to be on aspirin if there is a chance of blood clots and they can usually see how much at risk the cat is on ultrasound.  if there does not appear to be a risk of clotting then there is no need for the aspirin.

        I hope this helps.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
          Hi Sarah; I am so sorry about Riley...and I can relate. Our boy Max refuses to take pills...the one time we forced the issue we practically ruined our relationship with him. What we do is have meds compounded into a liquid and flavored with chicken which we syringe into him. He's gotten pretty used to it, and we follow it with treats. He's never been food motivated either and didn't like treats, but now he loves them. Can you get someone to go to the vet with you who can translate your concerns for him? There are options for meds...there's atenolol and enalapril...I think they are all good. My cat wouldn't take diltiazem either, so we use enalapril and for him it works well. The aspirin may be causing the vomiting. Usually it's not perscribed until the disease is progressed to the point where clots are likely...maybe he could do without it? I'd ask the vet. There is a natural supplement called nattokinasse which works similarlay that may be easier on his stomach and do the same thing. It hasn't been proven in medical trials so the vets don't tend to perscribe it, but it seems to be a good substitute from anecdotal evidence. It must be very hard to be dealing with this in a country where you don't speak the language. At least Germany probably has good vets...I am in Mexico 6 months of the year where the vet situation is dismal...at least where we are.

          Good luck to you...try talking options with your doctor and see if you can get him to talk about the relative severity of Riley's disease and the consequent plan for meds, etc...

          take care...Judi and Max

          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
            Hi Sarah

            Your description of Riley is exactly the same as Trixi. Aspirin made her
            sick, anorexic and very very ill and we had to discontinue it. She takes
            plavix only now and I definitely wouldn't use aspirin in a senstive cat. Trixi
            vomited bile 5 or 6 times a night and this stopped within a day of stopping
            aspirin. I am not sure what dilzem is though, but I`d definitely blame the
            aspirin and ask for either plavix or take nattokinase supplement instead.