WAS Re: [FH] Re: TJ in Houston - HCM , NOW Litter

  • kathryn m
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 1, 2010
      i have always used Worlds Best Kitty litter because not only am i sensitive to smells but belle is a sphynx and they have sensitive skin so i didnt want anything that could aggravate her skin. when belle first started having asthma symptoms i switched to Swheat litter because world best is made with corn and corn is allergen to some cats- i was trying to be safe. the Swheat litter was fine until the 3rd bag which smelled rather earthy even to me but not bad. belle didnt like it and i saw her get in and out of her litter box and i switched back to worlds best. belle is pretty sensitive and picky though. recently i moved her litter box from one wall to another- so it was about 3 feet from where it was and belle was not pleased and did the in and out thing within a few hours within 5 minutes of putting it back she used the box did her business and all was well. yes, she is the boss here:)
      >^..^<
      katy & belle
    • mottola22
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2010
        Hi Debra,

        Were you able to get TJ in for more testing yesterday? Any results yet?

        Here's my 2 cents on some of your questions:

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "airumel" <beepsandclicks@...> wrote: Has anyone had luck using herbs (dandelion, etc) instead of Lasix?

        I had much luck using dandelion WITH lasix with Mr Pepe. His HCM was too advanced to be able to drop the lasix completely. But I was able to reduce the amount of lasix needed to control fluid by using dandelion. Clara's HCM is not yet at the stage where she needs a diuretic. When I feel she is, I will start her on dandelion immediately, in hopes this is all she will need.

        <If TJ's kidneys are healthy, will these drugs still cause his kidneys to suffer, or is there a way to offset this?>

        The tests your vet is running will give you a baseline. Both lasix and enalapril can be hard on kidneys. There are ways to overcome this. Your holistic vet should be able to determine what is the best approach for him. With Mr Pepe, dandelion seemed to do a good job keeping his kidneys in good shape in addition to being a diuretic. TJ might require a different approach.

        Please keep us posted,

        Deena, Clara and Mr Pepe angel