RE: [FH] Plavix

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 43 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Susan: This is what my vet said about it...he's from UC Davis in CA which is a highly respected vetinary school:

      To be reminded, no definitive treatment protocols have been established in
      vet medicine for aortic thromboembolism so far, even though there have been
      belief and promising clinical trials that showed a positive effect with
      Plavix + Aspirin. However, not all cardiologists believe that. Because cats
      on both meds still develop clot formation.

      Given the situation, I think Aspirin + Natto would also be a good choice now. (he's talking about the fact that I can't get any lower dose than 75 mg of Plavix here.)

      I don't think you should beat yourself up...you were extremely conscious and caring about Pye, and it was just her time to go. This information is frustrating to me too, but I have also seen the tremendous advances in veterinary care for cats with heart conditions in just a very short time. I wish there were a way to prevent this disease but it is no more possible in cats than in humans...it can be treated, they can be relatively healthy, but the heart is unpredictable and it will fail eventually.

      Teasure your good memories of Pye...

      take care and I hope you'll be feeling better soon...Judi and Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: Dshale1@...
      Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 19:50:48 +0000
      Subject: [FH] Plavix

      As most of you know, I lost my beloved Pye recently during recovery from saddle thrombosis and while it doesn't matter now, I just wonder why Plavix didn't prevent a clot. When she had her last echo in Oct., there wasn't even any smoke or swirling in her left atrium so the cardiologist said that was good, no immediate danger of a clot.

      There was a recent study which showed that Plavix is as safe or safer than aspririn for heart kitties but as far as I know there is no proof it prevents thrombosis, is there?

      I know I am not doing myself any good going over and over in my head everything that happened, but when the cardiologist told me last year that only about ten percent of heart kitties get clots and Plavix should prevent it, I stopped worrying about it. I didn't think it would happen.

      I know many of you use Nattokinase and I wish I had. I stupidly trusted the Plavix. My mother has had several blood clots, starting with a pulmonary embolism about ten years ago. She was on Coumadin for many years, and then when she changed doctors, he put her on Plavix. Within six months she was in the hospital with a second pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis in both legs. She is lucky to have survived. Plavix did not prevent blood clots for her and she is back on on Coumadin. She never had a clot on Coumadin.

      I think sometimes Coumadin is used for heart kitties but I don't know and it wasn't offered to me.

      I hope to never go through this terrible experience again but I wonder if anything really can be done to prevent clots in our precious heart kitties.
      -Susan

    • Missy Zane
      Message 43 of 43 , Sep 4, 2015
        After two years, Sizzle is becoming very resistant to taking his pills, so I'm trying to combine as many as I can into two liquids. This experiment is beginning with Plavix/Diltiazem. He's getting chicken/marshmallow. Ugh... Wedgewood said the sweet marshmallow would disguise the bitter Plavix. I hope they're right!
        Missy

        On 9/4/2015 8:19 AM, Marsha martia@... [feline-heart] wrote:

        Hi Gina,

        That's almost exactly what I do with Brock's Plavix! The local pharmacy
        splits them into quarters and puts each piece inside a capsule. I open
        the capsule, letting the pill drop into the smaller half of the capsule,
        plug it with a Pill Pocket, and wrap the rest of the PP around it. I
        tried liquid Plavix from Wedgewood compounding pharmacy, beef and
        chicken flavor (yeah, right). That didn't go well.

        Marsha & Brock