Re: Newly diagnosed heart murmur in 15 y.o. cat

  • cococy45
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2010
      Please see my previous post regarding our Mellie, how we had been told to put her down as she had advanced HCM. We were so relieved after taking her to a cardiologist to find she did not have HCM at all but had other problems easily treated. She will be 18 in June and is doing quite well!

      After things settled with Mellie, I talked with her regular vet as he'd been the only one to see her. Regular vet had not been in the office the day she had the "event" and so we'd taken her to the acupuncture vet who had treated her a couple times for arthritis but saw her sister on a regular basis (for acupuncture). When I asked regular vet if he'd ever heard a heart murmur or noticed very high heart rate he answered yes to both - he felt both were due to stress of being in the clinic. I bought a stethoscope and kept track of her heart rate at home and found her resting heart rate was still 200 range. I feel many vets consider cats to have white coate syndrome and do nothing to check further for a heart problem.

      When Mellie was seen a couple weeks ago by the cardiologist, he found no heart murmur, bp was 120, and heart rate was 150. Yea!

      good luck to you and your mom in treating your special kitty!
      carol and mellie

      ps - my personal feeling is that just because a vet has the money to get ultrasound equipment does not mean that he is qualified in using it, particularly when it comes to making a life/death decision.