Winston, less then six months to live?

  • smittyhj82
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
      I just got off the phone with the vet, after Winston still having breathing issues due to the CHF. He had 10 mg subq lasix Monday night at the vet and is getting 12.5 mgs lasix am and 12.5 mgs pm. He was okay Tuesday and Wednesday, then last night he started to sound "piggy" again....respiratory noises, breathing in the 60's. I called bothe the cardio and reg vet, and they confired....we are adding the following:

      Hydroclorothiazide 1/4 tabelet 2x daily

      Nitroglycerine Ointment- 1/4 inch dose every 8 hours for 48 hours, then NONE for 72 hours, repeating the same cycle.

      Has anyone used these drugs? Seen any improvements on the Hydroclorothiazide? Any tips for apllication of the ointment on ears?

      These are his total meds now:

      Lasix 12.5 mgs 2x daily
      Diltiazem 8 mgs 2 x daily
      Enalapril 2.5 mg 1x daily
      L-Carnitine 75 mg 1x daily
      Asprin 20 mgs every 72 hours
      Hydrochlorothiazide 1/4 tab 2x daily
      Nitro Ointment

      I told the vet, he is happy, runs jumps plays, eats, drinks, poops, pees. He thinks he's fine. But it seems as though this is becoming unmanageable. We cannot get him stable...every 3 days he is filling back up with fluid.

      Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone had a long term CHF episode and come out of it?????? My vets says that they do not expect him to recover from the CHF and he gives him 6 months max. Please, someone tell me that there is hope......

      Melissa and Winston
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2010
        THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE !!!! I hate when vets tell people a timeline, they don't know, how can they possibly know? All we can do is the best we can do, and pray for the best. Winston is very blessed to have you taking care of him, he knows you will be there for him. The main thing you can do is keep him comfortable, in no pain, and get rid of the fluid right away when it starts affecting his breathing. Because that feeling of drowning must be terrifying for our kitties. And give him all the love you can! There is no way to know what will happen, or when. But do be prepared. You have to decide NOW about the *lengths* you will go to if things suddenly take a turn. Sometimes allowing nature to take its course is much more painful and traumatic for you and your kitty than helping them move up to heaven gently. Make this decision now, what you will do, while your head is still reasonably clear.

        I am taking Hydroclorothiazide for my high blood pressure, 3/4 of a 25 mg tab once a day. I have no side effects at all. My friend is also taking it, 25 mg a day, and she has to go to the bathroom every 2 hours -- but it did not have that effect on me. But I suspect it was given to Winston to aid the lasix, and get of more fluid.

        we are all praying for and with you - give Winston a big kiss from us!

      • janie
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2010
          Sockster was given a year. He lived a good life for 7 more. He was 12
          when he died. They do NOT know how long they will live. Just keep
          trying and praying and enjoy them. Janie