Re:resting heart rate

  • janie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
      I think I always took respiratory rate. Count the breathing as they
      lay quiet. Like up and down on the stomach for 15 sec. then multiply
      by 4. Should be around 30 or less up to 42. Now my cats have had up to
      60 and be ok. I never took what you did Janie
    • nala_zq
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
        I bought an inexpensive stethoscope at a nursing uniform supply company.
        They are also available online or at medical school bookstores.

        I counted for 15-30 seconds and multiplied by 4 or 2
        depending on how tolerant the cat was. 140-160 is pretty easy to count.
        Over 200 was much harder to count and I left it at over 200.

        I liked listening to the heart because I could note changes in the
        heart rhythm. I noticed an extra sound at one point. I didn't know
        what it was, but noted the change for the vet/cardiologist.

        Best,

        Nala