Trembling in cats with HCM

  • ddvancleave2
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      Has anyone ever experienced trembling in their cats with HCM? My cat recently started shaking and I'm wondering if this is part of HCM or a precursor to another episode of heart failure.
    • Ken Oberg
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
        My cat was just diagnosed 6 weeks ago with a mixed CM and I've noticed the same thing in that his front right leg will occasionally tremble when he's in a sitting position getting ready to walk on it.

        Ken Oberg
        Lebanon, Tennessee

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
          My cat did not experience trembling with her HCM. At one point she did
          develop muscle weakness due to long term use of furosemide which can
          lead to depletion of potassium (K+) which can cause weakness. A blood test
          will reveal potassium levels. Potassium supplementation is DANGEROUS
          however, without monitoring blood K+ levels as too much potassium
          can cause death. My vet was able to run a small panel in house that looked
          at only a handful of electrolyte values (sodium, potassium, calcium)
          rather than a full-scale screen.
          The small panel ran $25-35.

          Best,

          Nala