Re: resting heart rate

  • dshale1
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
      I was told 140-160. Pye's HR is usually 140 at the vet's. She is on the same dosage of atenolol as your kitty, but also enalapril. I remember once or twice her HR was 160 and I was told that is fine. However, you should double check with your vet if he/she has not told you what the resting HR should be.
      -Susan

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tagan_blight24" <tagan_blight24@...> wrote:

      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > I am monitoring my kitty's heart rate while at home and her resting heart rate is 160 on 6.25mg of atenolol twice a day.(She has increased heart rate and cardiomyopathy) Is 160 resting heart rate acceptable or should I talk to her vet about increasing her medication?\
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Amber and fur babies Ayla, Tagan, Blight, and Angel Reina

    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
        I'd love to check Tigger --- how do you measure it if it's so fast??
        I was told 140-160. Pye's HR is usually 140 at the vet's. She is on the same dosage of atenolol as your kitty, but also enalapril. I remember once or twice her HR was 160 and I was told that is fine. However, you should double check with your vet if he/she has not told you what the resting HR should be.
        -Susan

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tagan_blight24" <tagan_blight24@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I am monitoring my kitty's heart rate while at home and her resting heart rate is 160 on 6.25mg of atenolol twice a day.(She has increased heart rate and cardiomyopathy) Is 160 resting heart rate acceptable or should I talk to her vet about increasing her medication?\
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Amber and fur babies Ayla, Tagan, Blight, and Angel Reina

      • janie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
          I think I always took respiratory rate. Count the breathing as they
          lay quiet. Like up and down on the stomach for 15 sec. then multiply
          by 4. Should be around 30 or less up to 42. Now my cats have had up to
          60 and be ok. I never took what you did Janie
        • nala_zq
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
            I bought an inexpensive stethoscope at a nursing uniform supply company.
            They are also available online or at medical school bookstores.

            I counted for 15-30 seconds and multiplied by 4 or 2
            depending on how tolerant the cat was. 140-160 is pretty easy to count.
            Over 200 was much harder to count and I left it at over 200.

            I liked listening to the heart because I could note changes in the
            heart rhythm. I noticed an extra sound at one point. I didn't know
            what it was, but noted the change for the vet/cardiologist.

            Best,

            Nala