Tootsie is gone

  • cococy45
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
      We have just returned home from making that gut wrenching decision. Such a sad day.

      This morning she was having great difficulty even trying to sit, just couldn't do it. Then she couldn't breathe. When I tried to move her she was in tremendous pain and we rushed her to the emergency center. The er vet said she was in shock, temp was 96, abdomen extremely painful and bloated. Vet said her systems were more than likely shutting down but xrays could have been done to try to ascertain the cause of the bloating, however, vet said the intestinal tract is one of the first to quit. Tootsie has always been my husband's girl, Mellie is mine and so I said it was his decision what to do and he just didn't want to put her through any more and I agreed, as did the vet. At least she is no longer in pain and is at peace. Goodness, we'll miss her so very much! and her sister, Mellie, will also. Just hope she doesnt take a down turn. My sister is here visiting, she said that the whole time we were gone that Mellie walked around the house crying, she had been watching Tootsie this morning and seemed to know what was going on.

      Carol, I'm thinking of you and hoping you are seeing some improvement in your precious Snowball.

      Thanks to everyone for all the good advice this past year.
      hugs to all, carol and the girls
    • janie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2010
        I am so sorry. It seems we have lost a few here lately but we have
        kept some going too. I hope you showed Millie her sister. I found over
        the years that if I laid them there like in a box or sorta like a
        funeral visitation all my cats and dogs could see them. I also did
        this as I was not ready to let go. When my very first two died 9
        months apart. I did not bring home. I think their brother walked down
        the hall meowing for years looking in each room as he was calling
        them. So I did this on the rest. Prayers for you all. Janie
      • cococy45
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2010
          When I was trying to help Tootsie, Mellie was about 2 or 3 ft away watching and she stayed right there as we wrapped Toots in a warm blanket to take her to the emergency center. I did ask the vet if we could or should bring Tootsie's body back for Mellie to see and she said if Mellie was watching then she knew...and we do believe she knows. The two were not close at all but there were times these last few weeks when I'd see Mellie a bit closer to Toots than normal, and that evening Mellie was resting near Tootsie's bed and this morning about 6am Mellie was bellowing but my brotherinlaw had gotten up to go to the bathroom and I think she wondered why someone wasn't coming down (she doesn't do stairs on her own)...so I went down and brought her back up to bed with me and she settled right down. We are watching her carefully though and she has a cardiology checkup in a couple weeks, Tootsie was to have one also, sad to cancel it.

          carol