Sneezing/snorting, runny eye, nasal discharge and blood--Plavix?

  • dshale1
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009
      Hi, Pye is 12 and was diagnosed with mild HCM 2.5 years ago. Last year it became severe and she is now on enalapril, furosemide, plavix, and atenolol, as well as Flovent for asthma. A couple months ago she sneezed hard several times and sprayed a few blood droplets. At the time, neither our vet nor the cardiologist seemed to think this was of any concern and could be due to the Plavix. However, she has continued to sneeze and snort and recently developed a runny eye. Also, over the holidays the discharge from her nose became more mucus instead of clear, and is often tinged with a little blood.

      Being a worrywort the first thing I have thought of is that it might be a tumor since it's mainly her left nostril/eye that is affected. The vet examined her and said she doesn't think it's a tumor because there is no swelling or asymmetry in her face/nose or soft palate. But of course, we can't be sure without x-rays or better, a CT scan, which she cannot have because those require sedation. Right now the vet is assuming it is a sinus infection and we have started amoxillin. She said, however, that with Plavix nosebleed is always a risk, and that with the furosemide and the Flovent, her nasal passages are probably getting very dry and irritated. We have boosted the humidity in our house and are using a vaporizer.

      I'm wondering if this all sounds reasonable. I have also posted on the inhaled medication Yahoo group, but since a lot of cats on this list are also on furosemide (Lasix) and plavix, I wonder if any of you have experienced anything like this. Pye's blood test came back normal (white blood cells not elevated) so she doesn't have a systemic infection, but the vet said a localized infection probably wouldn't elevate WBC.

      If the antibiotics don't help, she said she is willing to try to do a skull x-ray without anesthesia, but she warned that unless there was a large mass it might not show anything. At this point I don't want to think that it might be something that serious since I know how easy it is to get nosebleeds when human beings are on plavix (this happened to my mother--sneezed a lot, got a nosebleed and even had to go to the ER) and the fact that Pye keeps snorting to try to clear her nose might be causing more bleeding from small blood vessels.

      Vet also listened to her lungs and said they sound clear, so the problem seems to be limited to her nose and sinuses. She is a British shorthair, so has a flattish face and short nose and therefore has always been a little snorty, but she of course never bled before.

      Anyone else have any experience with any of this? I am hoping it really is just a sinus infection and the antibiotics will clear it up.

      -Susan
    • janie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2010
        I dont have the blood problem but Boomer will do this running eyes and
        sneezing and snorting. No cold. I think hers is allergy. She would
        sneeze a lot and big sneezes. I think she had it in Nov threw the
        winter. She has allergies as her blood count show high levels. I think
        it is the cat litter sometimes. I want to change hers. She has been
        tested for herpes and all. The blood could just be irritation. Boomer
        is healthy but 15 no heart problems. Maybe it is an allergy. Janie