resting heart rate

  • tagan_blight24
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 31, 2009
      Hi Everyone,

      I am monitoring my kitty's heart rate while at home and her resting heart rate is 160 on 6.25mg of atenolol twice a day.(She has increased heart rate and cardiomyopathy) Is 160 resting heart rate acceptable or should I talk to her vet about increasing her medication?\

      Thanks!
      Amber and fur babies Ayla, Tagan, Blight, and Angel Reina
    • nala_zq
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
        Please consult with your vet.
        That said, for my kitty, the target heart rate (per cardiologist) with
        atenolol was 120 bpm, but my cat did poorly with a heart rate that low.
        Not only was she lethargic, but she decompensated easily. We settled
        on adjusting the dose such that her heart rate was between 140 and 160,
        usually closer to the 160 mark.

        Best,

        Nala with Camille and angel Cozette.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tagan_blight24" <tagan_blight24@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I am monitoring my kitty's heart rate while at home and her resting heart rate is 160 on 6.25mg of atenolol twice a day.(She has increased heart rate and cardiomyopathy) Is 160 resting heart rate acceptable or should I talk to her vet about increasing her medication?\
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Amber and fur babies Ayla, Tagan, Blight, and Angel Reina

      • janie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
          160 maybe I am wrong. Count for 15 sec and multiply by 4 Janie
        • dshale1
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
            I was told 140-160. Pye's HR is usually 140 at the vet's. She is on the same dosage of atenolol as your kitty, but also enalapril. I remember once or twice her HR was 160 and I was told that is fine. However, you should double check with your vet if he/she has not told you what the resting HR should be.
            -Susan

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tagan_blight24" <tagan_blight24@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > I am monitoring my kitty's heart rate while at home and her resting heart rate is 160 on 6.25mg of atenolol twice a day.(She has increased heart rate and cardiomyopathy) Is 160 resting heart rate acceptable or should I talk to her vet about increasing her medication?\
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Amber and fur babies Ayla, Tagan, Blight, and Angel Reina

          • Westgold
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2010
              I'd love to check Tigger --- how do you measure it if it's so fast??

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
                I think I always took respiratory rate. Count the breathing as they
                lay quiet. Like up and down on the stomach for 15 sec. then multiply
                by 4. Should be around 30 or less up to 42. Now my cats have had up to
                60 and be ok. I never took what you did Janie
              • nala_zq
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2010
                  I bought an inexpensive stethoscope at a nursing uniform supply company.
                  They are also available online or at medical school bookstores.

                  I counted for 15-30 seconds and multiplied by 4 or 2
                  depending on how tolerant the cat was. 140-160 is pretty easy to count.
                  Over 200 was much harder to count and I left it at over 200.

                  I liked listening to the heart because I could note changes in the
                  heart rhythm. I noticed an extra sound at one point. I didn't know
                  what it was, but noted the change for the vet/cardiologist.

                  Best,

                  Nala