Pepcid A/C with meds?

  • Pat
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 21, 2009
      Hi All;

      Pepper has been slowly losing his level of activity over the past few months, and while he isn't showing any signs of fluid congestion, he IS showing signs of lack of oxygen to the brain in that nausea and vomiting have become daily activities. I am wondering whether I should be asking our vet for Pepcid A/C, or if there are other better remedies out there for this that I can ask her about?

      All advice is very welcome.......Pat and all the boys
      http://petfoodpitfalls.blogspot.com/
      http://eliminationdietforpets.blogspot.com/

    • nala_zq
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 21, 2009
        Pat,

        My cat's cardiologist OK'd pepcid AC (famotidine) for my HCM kitty.
        It was important that it was pepcidAC and not a related product
        like "pepcid complete." Pepcid is a histamine blocker which helps
        reduce stomach acid. It is available over-the-counter.

        From what you describe, however, your Pepper's vomiting is not likely due to
        stomach acid. Does Pepper faint? I know that this is a sign of decreased
        blood flow and consequently oxygen flow to the brain.

        Regardless, reglan might be better suited, although some vets/
        cardiologists do not like to prescribe reglan to heart kitties. My
        cat would sometimes get both, the reglan at a dose lower than prescribed as
        it made my cat space. The drugs should be offset by at least a few hours.
        Generally I gave her pepcid at night to reduce acid build-up over night and
        then reglan in the AM. Generally she only got pepcid and if she
        vomited, then she would get reglan.

        The other drugs she was taking at the time were furosemide, benazepril,
        and atenolol. Later hydrochlorothiazide was added, atenolol was dropped,
        and finally spironolactone was added. (Also throw in some clavamox
        here and there as well as potassium supplements).

        For my kitty with pancreatitis, the vet gave an anti-nausea
        that targeted the brain, but was not approved for cats (don't
        know about the status of the drug now). She got a shot of Cerenia.
        I don't think it worked particularly well for her AND I don't know
        about any cardiovascular effects of the drug - that is whether or not
        it would be suited for heart patients in general. I don't think it is
        intended as a long-term use drug, but is available as a pill in addition
        to the injectable form.

        I will mention that for my HCM kitty, Cozette, nausea and
        vomiting tended to be a function of dehydration more than
        anything else. I have not been following Pepper's case, but
        has any bloodwork been done recently. Cozette's dehydration
        was evidenced by increases in her BUN and Creatinine levels.
        Once rehydrated (a slippery slope with fluids and CHF), the
        nausea was eliminated.

        best

        Nala with Camille and angel Cozette.
        -

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 22, 2009
          Hi Nala;

          > stomach acid. Does Pepper faint? I know that this is a sign of decreased
          > blood flow and consequently oxygen flow to the brain.

          Thanks for sending the information. We do think that the issue is lack of
          oxygen to the brain, and I will have to talk to the vet about it. She is
          great about not wanting to have Pepper go into the practice as he flips out
          when in the car. )-;

          If we find something that works to improve the nausea I will post to the
          list.

          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 24, 2009
            Hi Nala;
            > stomach acid. Does Pepper faint? I know that this is a sign of decreased
            > blood flow and consequently oxygen flow to the brain.

            Yes. We understand about that as DH sometimes has atrial fibrillation and
            was having some very serious vertigo periods a few years ago leading up to
            this.

            The vet is recommending we move the fortekor to the AM to see if that makes
            a difference.

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 26, 2009
              Hi Nala and All;

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 26, 2009
                Hi Pat, et al.,

                I'm sorry to hear that Pepper is having problems and hopes that the Pepcid AC helps.

                My understanding is that Pepcid AC is totally safe for cats. Last month, Merlin was put on Pepcid AC (1/4 pill per day) to help settle his stomach. In addition to the HCM, atrial fibrillation, CHF, and diet-controlled diabetes, his blood work has been showing renal insufficiency for more than a year. We haven't been treating it (other than adding water to his wet food) because his cardiologist doesn't think his heart can take sub-q fluids.

                The blood work from his last visit with his regular vet in November showed a increase Merlin's creatinine (up to 3.1 from 2.5 six months ago), and she said that cats with CRF can be nauseated. She wanted to add the Pepcid AC hoping that if it decreased nausea then Merlin might eat a bit more and slow down his weight loss. His appetite seems fine, but he keeps dropping weight -- now he's at just 10 lbs 10.5 oz., when he should be about 14.5 lbs. -- and feels like skin and bones. (Multiple T4/Free T4 tests last year and this year showed no sign of thyroid problems.)

                When I asked the vet about timing of the Pepcid AC, she said it was fine to give it along with the other meds (he also gets lasix, atenolol, vetmedin, plavix, and enalapril in the evenings, and lasix and vetmedin in the mornings). Has anyone heard anything different from their vets about the timing of the Pepcid AC?

                Thanks,
                Linda, Merlin, and Nero
              • Patricia Crawford
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 26, 2009
                  Bastet's on many of the same meds as Merlin. I've been told to dose Pepcid two hours apart from the meds, with the exception of Azodyl.

                  Because Bastet can't have sub-q anymore, she's been started on Azodyl (an enteric dyalysis probiotic). You can read more about it here:
                  http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm

                  I can't pill that huge enteric-coated capsule, so am decanting it to #4 gel caps. It's important that the capsule get through the stomach to the small intestine without being dissolved by stomach acid, so I administer that within an hour of giving Pepcid.

                  Healing vibes to Merlin,
                  Pat & Bastet

                  > I'm sorry to hear that Pepper is having problems and hopes that
                  > the Pepcid AC helps.
                  >
                  > My understanding is that Pepcid AC is totally safe for cats.
                  > Last month, Merlin was put on Pepcid AC (1/4 pill per day) to
                  > help settle his stomach. In addition to the HCM, atrial
                  > fibrillation, CHF, and diet-controlled diabetes, his blood work
                  > has been showing renal insufficiency for more than a year. We
                  > haven't been treating it (other than adding water to his wet
                  > food) because his cardiologist doesn't think his heart can take
                  > sub-q fluids.
                  >
                  > The blood work from his last visit with his regular vet in
                  > November showed a increase Merlin's creatinine (up to 3.1 from
                  > 2.5 six months ago), and she said that cats with CRF can be
                  > nauseated. She wanted to add the Pepcid AC hoping that if it
                  > decreased nausea then Merlin might eat a bit more and slow down
                  > his weight loss. His appetite seems fine, but he keeps
                  > dropping weight -- now he's at just 10 lbs 10.5 oz., when he
                  > should be about 14.5 lbs. -- and feels like skin and bones.
                  > (Multiple T4/Free T4 tests last year and this year showed no
                  > sign of thyroid problems.)
                  >
                  > When I asked the vet about timing of the Pepcid AC, she said it
                  > was fine to give it along with the other meds (he also gets
                  > lasix, atenolol, vetmedin, plavix, and enalapril in the
                  > evenings, and lasix and vetmedin in the mornings). Has anyone
                  > heard anything different from their vets about the timing of the
                  > Pepcid AC?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Linda, Merlin, and Nero

                • cococy45
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 27, 2009
                    Pat, so sorry to hear about Pepper's problems. I can tell you that for Tootsie the pepcid causes her to upchuck the last couple years. Back in 2002 when she was first dx with crf she would spew the foamy spots a few of them nightly. We started her on 1/4 pepcid ac and the vomiting stopped. We gave her the pepcid nightly for a couple years and then stopped it, but a couple years ago she just seemed so punky and nothing seemed to work so I thought I'd start the pepcid again in case it was upset tummy and she upchucked about 10 mins later. Same thing happened the next time I tried pepcid. I then got zantac to try but this has been some time ago and I don't remember if she upchucked that or not - sorry.

                    best wishes,

                    carol and the girls

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 27, 2009
                      Hi Carol;

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 27, 2009
                        Hi Pat,

                        I would do whatever you can do to encourage Pepper to
                        drink water. Cozette did much better when I managed to
                        get her to take in more fluid herself than with fluids - and
                        as many of us know, it can be quite difficult to manage
                        a CHF kitty who also needs SubQ fluids.

                        Some of the things that Cozette liked to do -
                        drink from water running from the tap
                        drink water from the sides of the bathtub after someone showered/bathed
                        drink water from her kitty fountain (we had a drinkwell)
                        drink diluted tuna water (don't remember the ratio - I think I used about
                        1 mL of tuna water to about 30 mL of tap water - I wanted to dilute the salt content)
                        drink water with ice cubes

                        Did you consider the Reglan at all? Like I mentioned some vets
                        don't like giving it to heart kitties, I had to use a very small dose,
                        but it did control vomiting. I gave Pepcid AC at night and Reglan
                        ONLY if she vomited. I think I mentioned that the Reglan made her
                        spacey, until I lowered the dose.

                        The heart muscle does increase in size when the heart has to work harder -
                        just like any muscle gets larger the harder it works. Whether the increase
                        in size could push on something else and make Pepper nauseous, I would
                        have no idea.

                        At least Pepper still has appetite. Cozette would stop eating, then
                        would stop drinking the following day. She didn't tend to vomit
                        directly after eating. This loss of appetite was one of the signs
                        that she was dehydrated.

                        Is Pepper really vomiting or is he simply regurgitating his food? Does
                        it come back out in whole pieces or is it partially digested with lots
                        of liquid coming up? Is his food elevated at all? I found that Cozette
                        managed her food better when she was sitting up and I held the food
                        for her (I know it sounds ridiculous, but it worked for us).

                        Best wishes and I hope this comes to a quick resolution.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 27, 2009
                          Hi Nala;

                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 28, 2009
                            Hi Pat,
                            I recall reading about cats licking cement, seems it was an indicator of something being out of balance in the system. I just did a quick google search and wiki just said indicator of a problem, big help that was. But, maybe Helen's site will have that info for you. Our animals can certainly be frustrating!

                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 28, 2009
                              Okay, just checked Helen's site - licking concrete is a sign of anaemia and/or low calcium. I went to the search bar at the bottom of the site page and wrote "licking conrete". Hope that helps.
                              carol

                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 28, 2009
                                Hi Carol;

                                > Okay, just checked Helen's site - licking concrete is a sign of anaemia
                                > and/or low calcium. I went to the search bar at the bottom of the site
                                > >page and wrote "licking conrete". Hope that helps.

                                Yes it does. Thanks for taking the time to check it out. We are busy being
                                day care and such at the moment so I haven't had time to blink, let alone
                                look into poor Pepper's predicament. I will let you know how this turns
                                out.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Dec 30, 2009
                                  Sometimes this is a sign of anemia.
                                  Cozette was not anemic, but did this
                                  routinely after we started our routine
                                  of meds.

                                  Nala

                                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "cococy45" <czyonov@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi Pat,
                                  > I recall reading about cats licking cement, seems it was an indicator of something being out of balance in the system. I just did a quick google search and wiki just said indicator of a problem, big help that was. But, maybe Helen's site will have that info for you. Our animals can certainly be frustrating!
                                  > carol and the girls

                                • Mmayer11
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Dec 30, 2009
                                    Currently, at least with regard to dogs who do this, it is considered a lack of calcium...but even in dogs this is a theory....perhaps some kind of mineral deficiency. But scientific theorizing is just that.

                                    Marianna

                                  • Pat
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Dec 30, 2009
                                      Hi Nala and All;