FW: [FH] Odie? Vagel feed back nerve

  • Maureen Kemper
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 9, 2009
      Tammy, my 20 year old cat Puff developed second degree heart block. This
      would cause his heart rate to drop to 85. This is not a problem w/ vagas
      nerve, but a conduction problem between the atrium and ventricle. His heart
      would be beating just fine, then in a matter of seconds the rate would drop
      below 100. He was very ill and several times had seizure like episodes. I
      have third degree heart block and it was initially misdiagnosed as a vagas
      nerve problem (which I should have undergone a tilt-table test for) .. a
      potentially fatal error. I have no functional heart disease .. heart block
      is a problem with the electrical system. Is it possible that this could be
      what is happening to Odie? It is often diagnosed via an EKG. First degree
      heart block does not cause severe symptoms. Second degree results in heart
      skipping beats and may lead to dizziness or fainting .. this is what Puff
      had. Third degree can result in the heart stopping and can be fatal.
      Puff's cardiologist said that cats could live pretty well w/ second degree
      heart block .. but if heart rate fell below 80, that is not a good thing.
      Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there as I'm not sure how one
      determines there is a vagas nerve problem in a cat! I hope Odie is feeling