Help !!!

  • tootsiepop1421
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
      I just found out my 15 year old Maine Coon has this horrible thing. He is absolutely pitiful and looks horrible, His touge is out and he pants. The Vet says he also has a spot on his lung and his white count is 50, was high in August at 25 and has had three rounds of antibiotics since then. Has anyone had to allow the Vet to let them go? I have been crying and wondering what the right thing to do is all day. He seems so depressed and ill. Some one please let me know it I should hate myself for even thinking about this or not. I am new here, and just found out that there was a group for this, wish I had known earlier. Thank you,

      Joy Alabama
    • Kristen G
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
        Is this heart disease for sure?  How was it diagnosed?

        If your cat is having trouble breathing, I would suggest that an emergency visit to a vet is in order.  It sounds like he is really in trouble, and I would take him to the vet right away if he were mine.  If the trouble breathing is caused by a build up of fluids, there are medications that can help with that.

        I hope you find some answers and your cat starts feeling better.

        Kristen

        ________________________________
        I just found out my 15 year old Maine Coon has this horrible thing. He is absolutely pitiful and looks horrible, His touge is out and he pants. The Vet says he also has a spot on his lung and his white count is 50, was high in August at 25 and has had three rounds of antibiotics since then. Has anyone had to allow the Vet to let them go? I have been crying and wondering what the right thing to do is all day. He seems so depressed and ill. Some one please let me know it I should hate myself for even thinking about this or not. I am new here, and just found out that there was a group for this, wish I had known earlier. Thank you,

        Joy Alabama

      • Mmayer11
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
          Yes, get to the ER immediately. Do not wait, Your cat should not have to suffer now regardless of the outcome, you must do something to help his distress asap! I am so sorry, but please try to pull yourself together and get him to help. This List is great, but it is no substitute for these kinds of terrible problems.

          Marianna

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
            We were back at the Vet a few hours ago and he has been like this for
            quite a while. They did another X-Ray and the heart is even larger than the
            first of the week and there is a rather big spot on the part of his lung that
            leads directly into the airway. He is still taking his meds but the vet
            says there is no more that he can do for him. I will never (on a disabled
            widows pension) get this Vet paid off. I wish I had had enough sense to
            buy insurance before this started.

          • cathy coleman
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
              I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. I don't know you, but I am quite sure you are doing the very best you can for your cat, and I'm sure he knows that. It sounds like bringing him in was the very best thing to do for him. It's so hard these things. I don't know how many ppl have insurance for their animals but I'm guessing not that many. It's not something many of us think of. A while back someone put out on this list a list of of places that might be able to provide help to people in trying to pay for animal health care. If you look in the archives, you'll find it there.
                  It's the hardest thing in the world to know what is best to do in these situations. I'm thinking you good thoughts, and just know you aren't alone. Many of us have been there and many more will be there at some point. You're doing the best you can in an awful situation. Please take good care of yourself and hang in there,
                Cathy & Winston

              At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities. ~Jean Houston

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                Hello Joy,
                I am so sorry you are going through this. What medication is your cat on? He should really be in the oxygen cage with intravenous fruesmide if he has fluid on his lungs. Cats can come out of this and be controlled with regular meds. I have the luxury of being insured. My cat was diagnosed with severe HCM in September and so far the cost of going in and out of hospital and all the meds has come to around £1500. I would never have been able to afford it if I was not insured. Is there a way round the cost? Do you have a special vet clinic like we do in the UK (PDSA) that can do the treatment with minimal costs?
                Please keep us posted on how he is doing.
                All the best.

              • tootsiepop1421@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                  I'm sorry to inform you all that my beloved friend lost his battle this
                  morning. He stopped eating and drinking late yesterday and I couldn't even
                  tempt him with tuna. I found him lying on my chest this morning. This is 2
                  in the last 5 months. The house is silent and empty. I really want to
                  hear that " talking " the trill that they always did . My lap feels so
                  empty. I really appreciate everyone's care and concern. Really helps to
                  connect with people that really love their animals like I do and feel the pain
                  of fighting a loosing battle Thank you all

                • Westgold
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                    oh, I am so sorry. Please accept my condolences. Our kitties are very fragile, and we never get to keep them as long as we want to. But he's now happy and healthy and waiting at the Bridge for you -- I know we will see our little ones again.

                    sincerelt, Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too

                  • JG
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                      I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you now. Please
                      accept my condolences.

                      Joe (Beanie, Chelsea and April (RIP)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                        So very very sorry...two lost in such a short time. I know this kind of terrible loss; I faced this myself this year. Please take care of yourself.

                        Marianna

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                          Joy,

                          I am so sorry to hear about your boy. I've lost two now, and I know
                          how wonderful Maine Coon companions can be. What was his name? And,
                          did you have him from a kitten?

                          Marcia

                          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, tootsiepop1421@... wrote:

                          > I'm sorry to inform you all that my beloved friend lost his battle
                          this
                          > morning. He stopped eating and drinking late yesterday and I couldn't
                          even
                          > tempt him with tuna. I found him lying on my chest this morning. This
                          is 2
                          > in the last 5 months. The house is silent and empty. I really want to
                          > hear that " talking " the trill that they always did . My lap feels so
                          > empty. I really appreciate everyone's care and concern. Really helps
                          > connect with people that really love their animals like I do and feel
                          the pain
                          > of fighting a loosing battle Thank you all

                        • janie
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 5, 2009
                            I am so sorry for your loss. Yes what is your Kitties name? I have not
                            got a heart kitty now sick. I have lost 5 to this and at one time I
                            lost 2 in 6 months. It is so hard. I did find this is the best group
                            of all the feline and dog groups the most caring people. Write your
                            heart out and it will help. I have still kept emails from when I lost
                            mine some people still here and some not. It helps. No empty arms will
                            be there for awhile until another comes and needs your love. You will
                            always miss that one but the new one makes you laugh and love again
                            some day. Take very good care of your self. Thinking of you Janie