Re:Winston- Congestive Heart Failure

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2009
      Yes..

      And there is another diuretic called spironolactone which can be used with
      lasix or they can use intravenous lasix.. In emergencies, a chest tap will
      clear the fluid whilst the diuretic starts to work. I`ve always found
      success with a mix of lasix / spiro..

    • banditbabe32
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
        Hi there, I did reply earlier but for some reason it did not show up......

        My cat is having the same problems - she is becoming refractory to very high doses of lasix. Sometimes, in these cases the next step would be to add a thiazide to the furosemide which enables better delivery of the diuretic therefore achieveing diuresis. The only issue is that it is more likely to cause kidney problems than furosemide alone. I am discussing going down this road with my cardio.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "smittyhj82" <smittyhj82@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone. Winston was examined on Friday due to breathing issues. He is in CHF. I actually took him back to the vet this morning, because i still do not think he is right. Has anyone had a cat in which lasix did not work to remove fluid from the lungs? Also, has anyone had an episode of CHF and recover without any other instances?
        > I am such a wreck, we lost a horse yesterday and i am so worried about winston.....

      • Ildiko
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
          Hi there,

          My Carmen was in heart failure twice a week apart. The doctors added both HCTZ every third day and one tablet of spironolactone daily, on top of the lasix. Thankfully her kidneys are holding up thus far and it seems to be doing the trick in keeping fluid off her lungs...