Marley update

  • banditbabe32
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 28, 2009
      Hi guys, haven't posted for a couple of weeks so I thought I would give you an update to let you know how Marley is doing.

      As you saw from my previous posts it wasn't looking good for Marley, and I was considering euthanasia. However, after those two serious episodes of heart failure (pulmonary oedema)two weeks ago she made a miraculous recovery. She has more lives than you would ever believe! When I collected her from the vets after the 2nd episode she was very tired, would not eat, couldn't even walk up the stairs unassisted - she was showing symptoms of kidney failure and I was preparing myself for the worst. However after two days she was so much better and her breathing was better than it had ever been (28 breaths per minute resting). Her Lasix has been increased to 20mg twice a day. Now though, she is showing signs of becoming refractory to this dose as I have had to give her a couple of injections over the last few days due to her breathing rate increasing again. Two weeks ago my cardio gave me some pimobendan to use if it came to a last resort situation. Marley is not in end stage HCM and the pimobendan could either have brilliant results or cause more harm than good. I have not used it yet.

      Questions are:

      1. Has your cat become refractory to high doses of lasix combined with spiro - what did your cardio do to resolve this? What is the highest dose of regular Lasix you have used?
      2. has anyone ever used pimobendan in non-end stage HCM, i.e. still very enlarged left heart wall? What happened?

      She is not showing any signs of kidney failure, her appetite is really good and she has lots of energy. We do not want to risk doing bloods as she gets so stressed out and this will push her into heart failure.

      Thanks for reading!

      xx
    • elfinmyst@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2009
        Hi

        I can only give my experience with Trixi. She had a heart attack last
        summer and was considered to be extremely unlikely to survive as most of the
        heart wasn't working. However, I can say pimobendin has been a miracle drug
        for us, because not only is she now 5 months on, but has most of the heart
        muscle working normally. She does have a lot of other pills as well, but I
        think I would not hesitate to use it in any of my heart cats. Trixi has
        stabilised HCM diagnosed at 12 weeks old and is also taking anti clot meds with
        her heart meds. Pimobendin has not done any harm at all, apart from
        slightly reduced blood pressure whch is now back to normal.

        Isn't there another form of spiro.. HCTZ?? or something.. I`ve only had
        experience of normal spiro and fruci so can't help, but maybe others can.

      • banditbabe32
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2009
          The thing with Marley is her heart is working really hard already and it seems
          that the harder and faster it pumps the more fluid gets into the lungs. In end
          stage HCM the muscle goes all saggy and doesnt work anymore but she has the
          opposite problem - its working too hard. When she gets excited thats when the
          pulmonary oedema occurs. So, I am worried that the Pimobendan will make her
          heart pump really hard thus making it possible for more fluid to leak into the
          lungs. I was told though that it would have other good effects on her such as
          opening up the blood vessels and arteries so blood flow is improved.

        • elfinmyst@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
            Hi

            I think you should discuss your concerns with the cardiologist about
            pimobendin or even contact the manufacturer. I've spoken to their customer
            support and they're very helpful, although whether they'd discuss an individual
            case I`m not sure.

            As my experience is with a cat whose heart muscle was damaged, my case is
            very different to yours, so I wouldn't like to say whether it would help.
            Could Marley have a drug to help relax the contractions?

          • lorkatz2004
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2009
              Jinx has been on pimobenden for almost 2 months and seems to be doing good at this point. He has more energy than before, and there are still times he has trouble, but in the end, his quality of life is better on this drug.

              Cathy