Re: [feline-heart] Hypertensive medication

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
      Thank you, Victoria. I will call Monday to see how soon I can schedule an echo. Then I will know that am putting Munchie on the right medication.

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
        Victoria,

        Is an echo done without sedation?

        Anne V
        Warner Robins, GA

      • Bob&Anne
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
          She is a little fidgety. Is it OK to give Rescue Remedy, or can that skew the results?

          Anne V
          Warner Robins, GA
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
            The murmur is probably symptomatic of heart damage caused by high thyroid.
            Even if the thyroid is under control, your cat may have sustained damage
            prior to treatment. The fast heartrate can also mean that the thyroid is
            still in a hyper state, or that because of heart damage, the heart is having
            to beat faster to maintain adequate circulation. The purpose of heart
            medication is to stop those automatic functions that the body does to
            compensate for decreased heart function (faster rate, blood pressure), so as
            to lessen the strain on the heart.

            Victoria
          • VHess2000@cs.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                An ultrasound at Animal Medical Hospital, in Charlotte, cost me about $85
                last year. It would have been closer to $200 at my regular vet, but she
                didn't have the equipment herself, but had a doctor come in once a week to
                perform the tests, hence the a more expensive procedure.

                Victoria
              • VHess2000@cs.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                  Yes, unless your cat is very hyperactive