Re: [FH] supplements

  • C.R.
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 19, 2009
      We started giving Snowball the CoQ10, DMG and taurine when she was diagnosed with her HCM and heart murmur two years ago. We haven't started any nattokinase for clots yet, because her HCM is in the very, very early stages and the cardiologist doesn't think she needs any blood thinners yet.

      It won't hurt to give the CoQ10 to your other kitties who are on the atenolol. In fact, it can only help. It's been shown in studies that beta blockers, of which atenolol is one, deplete CoQ10 in the body, so supplementing with CoQ10 is advisable for anyone taking beta blockers. Here's more info from an article in Vitality Magazine last April about beta blockers and CoQ10.
      http://tinyurl.com/y8ma63q

      CoQ10 helps the cell mitochondria to better utilize energy, reducing the load on the heart. Here's some info on human studies done with CoQ10 and how many in the study improved with supplementation.
      http://www.md-phc.com/nutrition/useful.html

      Remember though, you cannot just stop CoQ10 cold turkey. If you're going to stop supplmenting CoQ10, you must do it slowly, because adverse effects have been seen after stopping CoQ10 suddenly. This is a paragraph from a member's post about stopping CoQ10.

      One final note on CoQ10: A study was done on a small group of heart failure patients who had all been stabilized on their heart med's, and who had shown a positive response to long-term ( 3- 8 months) supplementation of CoQ10. Within 2 -3 weeks of stopping CoQ10, 5/9 patients experienced deterioration severe enough to require hospitalization and two patients died of, respectively, pulmonary embolism and myocardial infarction. Those who relapsed after COQ10 withdrawal, recovered after the supplementation was reinitiated. The researchers concluded that," withdrawal may be dangerous, especially in Class III-IV failure... that COQ10 is a lifetime therapy, and
      probably lifesparing therapy, particularly for potential heart transplant candidates." [Mortensen, SA, et al.]

      So, I would give CoQ10 to any of my heart kitties.

      Carol and Snowball and the gang

      > Hi -- why & when did you start giving it to your kitties? Should we all be giving it, or just those who are in the greatest danger of clots, etc? Many of our kitties are perhaps just taking atenolol, and our kitties are doing great. Should we also be giving it? I asked two different cardiologists about it for Tigger, and they both said it was unnecessary. But I'd do it anyway if I thought it could really help him.

    • beverlylevine384
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 5, 2015
        Carol,
        What brand/dose do you use for Taurine and L-caritine?

        Also, do you use Omega3? if so..brand/dose?

        Are there any other supplements you use for heart kitties?

        Thanks,
        Bev