RE: [FH] HCM - Kitty after Anesthesia

  • Betty Ann
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2009
      Hi...welcome to the group...sorry you have to be here. You'll find many
      people with lots of experience (unfortunately). Pixel (12.5 years old) was
      diagnosed with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with an ultra sound
      last February. We didn't even know she had a problem until she was given a
      very thorough exam to see if she qualified for a kidney study. There's no
      way of knowing how long she's had this heart condition. She takes medication
      to help slow the heart and put less stress on it. As of yet, Pixel has not
      had a problem with congestive heart issues. She has had dental work done
      since her official diagnosis and I suspect previous rounds of dental work
      were done before we knew she has HCOM.

      With heart kitties and multiple aliment kitties, it's a balancing act. You
      have to work with your vet, educate yourself and advocate for your kitty's
      unique situation. I'm glad you have faith in your vet because that helps a
      lot! It's a shock when you're told your sweet cat has heart issues. For me,
      finding this group and educating myself on Pixel's particular health issues
      have helped a lot!

      You will find many people here who can help answer your questions. Good
      luck!

      Betty Ann &
      Pixel (CRF w/HBP & HCOM), Piton, Pipsqueak
      Angels: Tandy, Toni, Snagglefoot