Re: [feline-heart] Ideal BP and Echo Cost

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2001
      Laura,

      Thanks for the info. It won't hurt to hold off for a few days on the BP meds and get the echo done first. There is a new vet about 45 minutes drive who has the equipment and she said I could call her a discuss what needs to be done. I don't understand why she has the echo and ultrasound equipment, but not a BP monitor. At least, when I e-mailed her before she set up practice she was not planning on immediately getting one. Maybe she has changed her mind. That will be one of my questions next week. My other vet still has not called me back after I left a message this morning. I know he is ticked off with my "uppity" ideas!!!

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA
      An echocardiogram (ultrasound) costs from $200 to $300 here in expensive DC.
      I agree that heart meds shouldn't be given until the echo.

      A BP of 180 is pretty high, but it might be lower at home. My cardiologist
      said it often goes up 40 points at the vet's office. I believe the goal is
      160 to 170 at the vet's office. My two cats were put on Norvasc with BPs of
      190.

    • Laura Penny