Re: [feline-heart] Hypertensive medication

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
      Thank you for your opinion, Anyes. I have not checked on the price for an ultrasound. Is it a very expensive procedure? And does anyone know what BP we should be aiming for? I know 180 is high, but what is a good range and what is too low?

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
        Thank you, Victoria. I will call Monday to see how soon I can schedule an echo. Then I will know that am putting Munchie on the right medication.

        Anne V
        Warner Robins, GA
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
          Victoria,

          Is an echo done without sedation?

          Anne V
          Warner Robins, GA

        • Bob&Anne
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
            She is a little fidgety. Is it OK to give Rescue Remedy, or can that skew the results?

            Anne V
            Warner Robins, GA
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
              The murmur is probably symptomatic of heart damage caused by high thyroid.
              Even if the thyroid is under control, your cat may have sustained damage
              prior to treatment. The fast heartrate can also mean that the thyroid is
              still in a hyper state, or that because of heart damage, the heart is having
              to beat faster to maintain adequate circulation. The purpose of heart
              medication is to stop those automatic functions that the body does to
              compensate for decreased heart function (faster rate, blood pressure), so as
              to lessen the strain on the heart.

              Victoria
            • VHess2000@cs.com

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                  An ultrasound at Animal Medical Hospital, in Charlotte, cost me about $85
                  last year. It would have been closer to $200 at my regular vet, but she
                  didn't have the equipment herself, but had a doctor come in once a week to
                  perform the tests, hence the a more expensive procedure.

                  Victoria
                • VHess2000@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                    Yes, unless your cat is very hyperactive