Re: [feline-heart] Hypertensive medication

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
      Thank you for your opinion, Anyes. I have not checked on the price for an ultrasound. Is it a very expensive procedure? And does anyone know what BP we should be aiming for? I know 180 is high, but what is a good range and what is too low?

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
        Thank you, Victoria. I will call Monday to see how soon I can schedule an echo. Then I will know that am putting Munchie on the right medication.

        Anne V
        Warner Robins, GA
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
          Victoria,

          Is an echo done without sedation?

          Anne V
          Warner Robins, GA

        • Bob&Anne
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
            She is a little fidgety. Is it OK to give Rescue Remedy, or can that skew the results?

            Anne V
            Warner Robins, GA
            Yes, unless your cat is very hyperactive

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Anyes Moscrip
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001

            • VHess2000@cs.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                The murmur is probably symptomatic of heart damage caused by high thyroid.
                Even if the thyroid is under control, your cat may have sustained damage
                prior to treatment. The fast heartrate can also mean that the thyroid is
                still in a hyper state, or that because of heart damage, the heart is having
                to beat faster to maintain adequate circulation. The purpose of heart
                medication is to stop those automatic functions that the body does to
                compensate for decreased heart function (faster rate, blood pressure), so as
                to lessen the strain on the heart.

                Victoria
              • VHess2000@cs.com

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                    An ultrasound at Animal Medical Hospital, in Charlotte, cost me about $85
                    last year. It would have been closer to $200 at my regular vet, but she
                    didn't have the equipment herself, but had a doctor come in once a week to
                    perform the tests, hence the a more expensive procedure.

                    Victoria
                  • VHess2000@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                      Yes, unless your cat is very hyperactive