Re: [feline-heart] Hypertensive medication

  • Bob&Anne
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
      Victoria,

      Yes, Munchie is on Tapazole and her T4 last week was at 2.2. I would like to keep it a little higher to help her kidneys, but a minor adjustment in the Tapazole cause major changes in the T4. I was thinking of starting her on Norvasc and schedule an ultrasound. Is this bad idea? Are we talking about three different things - high BP (179), murmur, and rapid heart rate - or is this all one that can be treated with one medication?

      Anne V
      Warner Robins, GA
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
        Anyes,

        In addition to the high BP, Munchie also has a newly discovered heart murmur and a rapid heart rate. Does this change your opinion?

        Anne V
        Warner Robins, GA
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
          Thank you for your opinion, Anyes. I have not checked on the price for an ultrasound. Is it a very expensive procedure? And does anyone know what BP we should be aiming for? I know 180 is high, but what is a good range and what is too low?

          Anne V
          Warner Robins, GA

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
            Thank you, Victoria. I will call Monday to see how soon I can schedule an echo. Then I will know that am putting Munchie on the right medication.

            Anne V
            Warner Robins, GA
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
              Victoria,

              Is an echo done without sedation?

              Anne V
              Warner Robins, GA

            • Bob&Anne
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                She is a little fidgety. Is it OK to give Rescue Remedy, or can that skew the results?

                Anne V
                Warner Robins, GA
                Yes, unless your cat is very hyperactive

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Anyes Moscrip
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                  vandalin1@... wrote:

                  > ..... The vet called back
                  > this evening, leaving a message for me to let his office know which
                  > pharmacy I use. He sounded rather annoyed. We have not discussed
                  > which medication would be best. Now, I am wondering if it is a
                  > mistake to put her on meds without an echocardiogram or an ultrasound
                  > first. Is it dangerous or is it OK to lower the BP and then have the
                  > tests run? Any advice would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Anne V.
                  > Warner Robins, GA

                  > I see lots of high bp kitties get medication without having the ultrasound
                  > done. I believe the ultrasound is necessary when there is a hint of any
                  > other possible condition in addition to the high bp that might complicate
                  > matters.

                  Anyes and the girls
                • Anyes Moscrip
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001

                  • VHess2000@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                      The murmur is probably symptomatic of heart damage caused by high thyroid.
                      Even if the thyroid is under control, your cat may have sustained damage
                      prior to treatment. The fast heartrate can also mean that the thyroid is
                      still in a hyper state, or that because of heart damage, the heart is having
                      to beat faster to maintain adequate circulation. The purpose of heart
                      medication is to stop those automatic functions that the body does to
                      compensate for decreased heart function (faster rate, blood pressure), so as
                      to lessen the strain on the heart.

                      Victoria
                    • VHess2000@cs.com

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                          An ultrasound at Animal Medical Hospital, in Charlotte, cost me about $85
                          last year. It would have been closer to $200 at my regular vet, but she
                          didn't have the equipment herself, but had a doctor come in once a week to
                          perform the tests, hence the a more expensive procedure.

                          Victoria
                        • VHess2000@cs.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 6, 2001
                            Yes, unless your cat is very hyperactive