second heart failure

  • tanikalafi
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
      Dear all,

      My dear Sesame diagnosed with HCM in April this year had heart failure for the second time. A week ago she had some coughing episodes and sneezing which was thought to be a viral infection. It subsided in a few days, but she then developed an anal abscess. We had to take her to the vet to get the antibiotic but the visit turned to be extremely stressful for her perhaps resulting in the second heart failure. Right now, she is on Lasix and in an oxygen chamber. Due to her stress, Sesame is not cooperating with the hospital staff, who are also fearful of stressing her further and therefore are not doing any tests.

      Have any of your babies experienced heart failure more than once and what did the vets do about it? What is the prognosis? Please advice.
      I'll be truly grateful.

      Thanks much,

      Tanika
    • Westgold

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 6, 2009
          hi Tanika,

          I'm sorry to hear that Sesame has heart failure again. It's really hard to see them go through this even one time.

          My angel Sweetie had 5 bouts of heart failure. Our angel Chris had to go in and have fluid removed from his lungs about once a month for the whole last year of his life, until I found out from the folks here on the group about giving him some supplements that kept his heart better and after we started the supplement, along with giving him his diuretics, he only had to have fluid removed once in 3 months instead of every month.

          It can be a real balancing act, but I think you can help Sesame feel better and keep the heart failure from happening so often if the vet gives combinations of diuretics. Some work better than others. Chris was on only Lasix, so was Sweetie. But when we had the vet give him spironolactone and Lasix, it kept the fluid down better. There's also HCTZ (hydorchlorothyazide) that is used as a diuretic.

          The supplements that we started giving were CoQ10, 30mg twice a day, taurine, about 100mg twice a day (just emptied the powder out of the capsule into the food), DMG (dimethylglycine), half of a 125mg tablet tiwce a day. You can also give L-carnitine.

          There's more info on the supplments in the files.

          If there is danger of clots, many folks use Nattokinase. The vet will probably prescribe a small dose of aspirin, give heparin injections or prescribe something like Plavix. Some of us who want to do more natural treatment without the side effects of the drugs, choose to use the Nattokinase. Nattokinase is an enzyme derived from soy that has blood thinning properties.

          I know that the stress can make them much worse. my angel Sweetie would get so very upset to go to the vet, that for the whole last year of her life, we avoided having to take her in. Instead, we had a housecall vet come to the house to do blood draws for tests. The only time we took her in was when she needed xrays to see if there was fluid in there... when her breathing would get bad and we suspected fluid. Other than that, we didn't go at all.

          Before you increase any of Sesame's meds, if you do that, clear that with your vet first.

          One thing you can give them for the stress is Rescue Remedy. It's a Bach flower remedy. It's not toxic and you can't overdose on it. It did help calm my guys down when we had to take them in. You can buy it at a health food store, and I even saw they have it now at our CVS drug stores. When you buy the bottle, the way you dose it is you take that bottle and make a remedy from that. You can use it straight but it has alcohol in it, so you want to lessen that. Use a clean dropper bottle and fill it with spring water (not tap water) and put 3 to 5 drops of Rescue Remedy in it. Shake it hard on your palm for 100 times. This is called succussing and it activates the remedy. Flower essences are energy medicine and shaking the remedy activates the energy of the essence. Anyway, after that first time of 100 shakes, you only need to shake it about 20 times on your palm each time you use it.

          Many people use Rescue Remedy straight from the bottle by rubbing it into the skin. The point at the top of the head between the ears is the acupuncture calming point, and that's where I'd rub it in on my guys.

          Now the Rescue Remedy people do make a "pet" version that's made with glycerine instead of alcohol, so that you can give orally straight. Just make sure whichever you use, if you give it orally, that you rinse off the dropper in very hot water and shake it off before putting it back in the bottle, so you don't contaminate the remedy.

          Hang in there. We'll keep Sesame in our prayers and thoughts and send healing energy for a quick homecoming.

          hugs,
          Carol and Snowball and the gang

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "tanikalafi" <tanikalafi@...> wrote:

          > My dear Sesame diagnosed with HCM in April this year had heart failure for the second time.
        • Carolyn Cohen
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
            Just wanted to say that I have had great success with using Rescue Remedy for my Kitties (and for myself as well). I would recommend giving it a try. I hope it will help Sesame get through this hard time and it couldn't hurt you either.
            Carolyn

            ________________________________

            http://pets. groups.yahoo. com/group/ feline-heart/ files/Supplement s%20for%20heart% 20kitties/

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
              Sadly, I heard from Tanika last night and she told me that Sesame went to the rainbow bridge while in the hospital. :-(

              Carol and Snowball and the gang
            • BubbaCat1@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
                Dear Friends:
                I've just sent my condolences to Tanika, and in case you want to send yours
                privately, her addy is:

                _tanikalafi@..._ (mailto:tanikalafi@...)

                Godspeed, sweet Sesame.....

                JO