Re: [FH] Atenolo - another asthma question

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
      It could be the heart disease causing the coughing.

      Has your vet taken x-rays of the lungs? If a cat has asthma, it normally
      shows up on an x-ray of the lungs. There are small circles that show up.

      Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
      with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
        sue is right you want to rule out any issues with the heart first but belle never had any marks (called halos) on her lungs to indicate asthma. at first they thought it was just allergies. it will help if you make sure there isnt anything that can trigger asthma or allergies- no air fresheners, perfumes, strong cleaners, vaccuum a lot more, wash any bedding your kitty sleeps on once a week in hot water, no fabric softener, clothes soap without perfume and dyes.
        >^..^<
        katy & belle

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sue <susan@...> wrote:

        > It could be the heart disease causing the coughing.
        >
        > Has your vet taken x-rays of the lungs? If a cat has asthma, it normally
        > shows up on an x-ray of the lungs. There are small circles that show up.
        >

        > Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
        > with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

      • dshale1
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
          Hmm, that's interesting. Pye started sneezing recently too, although she has been on the enalapril, plavix and lasix for a year now. Neither our vet nor our cardiologist seemed concerned when I told them she has been sneezing, even though once she sneezed so much she sneezed blood droplets. They said if it were a respiratory infection, she would appear sick and she doesn't. I wonder if one of those meds irritates the nasal passages in some way.
          -Susan

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Judi Levens <casaobelisco@...> wrote:

          > Is she coughing or sneezing? Max for some reason started sneezing after CHF and the introduction of the meds, enalapril and lasix (lasix now discontinued) and he continues to do it regularly...Judi and Max

        • dshale1
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
            Pye did not exhibit the classic sign of asthma either on x-ray (also called "doughnuts") back when she was first diagnosed about six years ago. Her case was very mild, however. Our vet tried a short course of prednisone and because she almost immediately stopped coughing, he diagnosed asthma or chronic bronchitis (she also had elevated eosiniphils, another indication of an allergic reaction). On her latest x-rays her lungs do show some of the typical signs of long-standing asthma, but obviously it took many years before these developed. She has been on Flovent all this time.
            -Susan

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kathryn m" <katy_van@...> wrote:

            > sue is right you want to rule out any issues with the heart first but belle never had any marks (called halos) on her lungs to indicate asthma. at first they thought it was just allergies. it will help if you make sure there isnt anything that can trigger asthma or allergies- no air fresheners, perfumes, strong cleaners, vaccuum a lot more, wash any bedding your kitty sleeps on once a week in hot water, no fabric softener, clothes soap without perfume and dyes.
            > >^..^<
            > katy & belle

          • skyhawk_aopa
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
              Hi everyone

              Thank you for your replies and thoughts. I left a message for my vet and will talk to her tomorrow (she was off today). I am hoping against hope this was a fluke. Poor baby.