Atenolo - another asthma question

  • skyhawk_aopa
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
      Hi

      I had posted a query about the possibility of atenolol causing asthma b/c me kitty started coughing shortly after we started her, 3 or so week ago.

      The vet confirmed she was fine a few weeks ago, no funny noises indicating asthma. She saw her again Saturday for the BP/HR check up, and I believe she again listened to her breathing - I asked her to, anyway.

      Last night she again had a cough but hasn't had it again this morning. If she's been on the drug 3+ weeks, and was fine, would it all of a sudden crop up due to the atenolol? Nothing else in her environment has changed.

      Thanks!
    • Judi Levens
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
        Is she coughing or sneezing? Max for some reason started sneezing after CHF and the introduction of the meds, enalapril and lasix (lasix now discontinued) and he continues to do it regularly...Judi and Max

        To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
          actually she could be fine on it for a time and then develop a reaction. belle was on atenolol for about a year when i noticed the coughing. i rushed her to the vet. they found nothing either everything sounded clear. i took her to her cardiologist and had them do another echo to be sure. no changes. her attacks were almost always in the middle of the night. my dad is asthmatc and he is worse at night too. the cardiologist put belle on diltiazem to see if it was the atenolol as it can worsen asthma and cause bronchial spasms. this was not the case with belle- the attacks continued, but she also didnt eat well, vomited often and her murmur returned while taking diltiazem. after more vet visits etc she was put on flovent for her asthma and within 2-3 weeks the attacks were gone. she rarely has an attack now but september-feburary seems to be her worse times, she has probably had 6 mini attacks in over 3 years.

          >^..^<
          katy & belle

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "skyhawk_aopa" <skyhawk_aopa@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I had posted a query about the possibility of atenolol causing asthma b/c me kitty started coughing shortly after we started her, 3 or so week ago.
          >
          > The vet confirmed she was fine a few weeks ago, no funny noises indicating asthma. She saw her again Saturday for the BP/HR check up, and I believe she again listened to her breathing - I asked her to, anyway.
          >
          > Last night she again had a cough but hasn't had it again this morning. If she's been on the drug 3+ weeks, and was fine, would it all of a sudden crop up due to the atenolol? Nothing else in her environment has changed.
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Sue
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
            It could be the heart disease causing the coughing.

            Has your vet taken x-rays of the lungs? If a cat has asthma, it normally
            shows up on an x-ray of the lungs. There are small circles that show up.

            Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
            with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

            > I had posted a query about the possibility of atenolol causing asthma b/c
            > me kitty started coughing shortly after we started her, 3 or so week ago.
            >
            > The vet confirmed she was fine a few weeks ago, no funny noises indicating
            > asthma. She saw her again Saturday for the BP/HR check up, and I believe
            > she again listened to her breathing - I asked her to, anyway.
            >
            > Last night she again had a cough but hasn't had it again this morning. If
            > she's been on the drug 3+ weeks, and was fine, would it all of a sudden
            > crop up due to the atenolol? Nothing else in her environment has changed.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • kathryn m
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
              sue is right you want to rule out any issues with the heart first but belle never had any marks (called halos) on her lungs to indicate asthma. at first they thought it was just allergies. it will help if you make sure there isnt anything that can trigger asthma or allergies- no air fresheners, perfumes, strong cleaners, vaccuum a lot more, wash any bedding your kitty sleeps on once a week in hot water, no fabric softener, clothes soap without perfume and dyes.
              >^..^<
              katy & belle

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Sue <susan@...> wrote:

              > It could be the heart disease causing the coughing.
              >
              > Has your vet taken x-rays of the lungs? If a cat has asthma, it normally
              > shows up on an x-ray of the lungs. There are small circles that show up.
              >

              > Sue & angels Pepper & Gandy
              > with Nicholai, Lola-Joy and Isabella

            • dshale1
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
                Hmm, that's interesting. Pye started sneezing recently too, although she has been on the enalapril, plavix and lasix for a year now. Neither our vet nor our cardiologist seemed concerned when I told them she has been sneezing, even though once she sneezed so much she sneezed blood droplets. They said if it were a respiratory infection, she would appear sick and she doesn't. I wonder if one of those meds irritates the nasal passages in some way.
                -Susan

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
                  Pye did not exhibit the classic sign of asthma either on x-ray (also called "doughnuts") back when she was first diagnosed about six years ago. Her case was very mild, however. Our vet tried a short course of prednisone and because she almost immediately stopped coughing, he diagnosed asthma or chronic bronchitis (she also had elevated eosiniphils, another indication of an allergic reaction). On her latest x-rays her lungs do show some of the typical signs of long-standing asthma, but obviously it took many years before these developed. She has been on Flovent all this time.
                  -Susan

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kathryn m" <katy_van@...> wrote:

                  > sue is right you want to rule out any issues with the heart first but belle never had any marks (called halos) on her lungs to indicate asthma. at first they thought it was just allergies. it will help if you make sure there isnt anything that can trigger asthma or allergies- no air fresheners, perfumes, strong cleaners, vaccuum a lot more, wash any bedding your kitty sleeps on once a week in hot water, no fabric softener, clothes soap without perfume and dyes.
                  > >^..^<
                  > katy & belle

                • skyhawk_aopa
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
                    Hi everyone

                    Thank you for your replies and thoughts. I left a message for my vet and will talk to her tomorrow (she was off today). I am hoping against hope this was a fluke. Poor baby.