Re: A question about respiratory rate

  • jjhobbie
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi there. My Chloe's respiratory rate is usually around 32-38 while awake. Every now and then she is around 40-ish and I just give her a little extra furosemide/lasix on those days. While sleeping she is usually around 28-32. The vet said this is normal for her and varies with cats as you mentioned. I was worried too when her rate went up and put Chloe through another x-ray. They saw very minimal fluid in the lungs. Since I work during the day, the vet said maybe give her an extra dose on the weekends when I am home. She has pretty much been stable since June and it has not become life threatening (except for her initial diagnosis in May when she her rate/effort was WAY up).
      Good luck to you and your baby!

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "banditbabe32" <banditbabe32@...> wrote:

      > Could you please tell me what your HCM cat's respiration rate per minute is both awake and asleep. My cat's is between 38-48 awake and around 32 asleep. her awake rate worries me but her cariologist said that it can greatly vary from cat to cat and as long as it slows down when she is asleep I shouldnt worry so much.
      >
      > She has been like this for the last few weeks and we were all assuming she had a small amount of persistent fluid on the lungs (which she may well have) but I would have thought that if it was a life threatening amount she would have got worse by now?
      >
      > Just to clarify, we dont want to xray her chest unless absolutely necessary because last time the stress of it put her into heart failure.
      >
      > I would really appreciate knowing what other cat's rates are.
      >
      > Thanks x

    • banditbabe32
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 3, 2009
        Thank you all so much for your speedy replies. Marley is on an ACE inhibitor, imidapril, 0.25ml once daily, 5mg spiro once daily, 16mg furosemide twice plus a 3rd dose at 12mg. My cat is seeing one of the top cardiologists in the UK and they said that trials showed that the ACE inhibitor was the drug which increased the animal's life the longest. I will however ask about atenolol, but I always feel as if I am telling the experts what she should have if you know what i mean and feel a bit uncomfortable about it. She was diagnosed with severe HCM in September and it was very sudden.

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2009
          Hi

          Respiratory rate is msot important when taken at rest, and not dreaming. If
          my cats go above thirty, it's usually a sign that fluid is building up and
          that's when I treat them. SOme just get an extra frucimide if they are on
          lower diuretics, but the ones with heart failure, I`d contact the
          cardiologist and have them listened to at my vet.

          They have been known to get temperatures with infections and this pushed
          the rate up, but a quick vet visit reassured me. Is you cat on any diuretics
          at all and what dose?