Compounding spironolactone - water vs. oil

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2009
      My friend's husband replied back last night about the issue with mixing spiro in water. Turns out that the local pharmacist didn't know what he was talking about (no surprise there).

      Spiro in water will not create formaldehyde - as the local pharmacist said. Spironolactone is not water-soluable so if you do mix it with water, it creates a suspension rather than a solution. In case you don't remember your high school chemistry, the difference is that in a suspension, the solid breaks down into small particles but doesn't really combine with the liquid. The particles "float" in the liquid and eventually settle to the bottom so you have to shake it to get an even distribution of the solid within the liquid. In a solution, the solid & liquid actually combine.

      My friend's husband studied bio-chemistry & pharmaceuticals. He did pharmaceutical research for a while too. He knows his stuff!

      Sue