Re: [feline-heart] Taffy's Ultrasound

  • Laura Penny
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
      Cynthia,

      I wouldn't let them put him out unless he is absolutely impossible to
      handle. Neither Lucky nor Kassy has ever been put out, and they've had at
      least six ultrasounds each. I've also taken a number of SPCA cats for
      echocardiograms, and only two very difficult ones were sedated.

      Kassy says every swear word in the book, and Lucky sheds half her coat, but
      they eventually give in.

      Good luck! Let us know as soon as you get the results.

      Laura

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
        --- In feline-heart@y..., Cynthia Rausch <crosseye@t...> wrote:
        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > Taffy will be going in at 2:00 pm, for his ultrasound, now they have
        > just phone me and told me that I cannot feed him after 7:00 tonight.
        >
        > That means he will not receive anything 19 hours, is this a normal
        > practice? When we were booked at the other Clinic, I asked whether
        > this needed to be done and they he could have his fluids and eat.
        >
        > I wonder what's going on?
        >
        > Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel

        It depends on what they are ultrasounding. If it's just the heart,
        food doesn't matter. If they are checking anything in the digestive
        system, they do like the cat to have fasted.

        --Kirsten
      • Jonathan Rosenberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
          Hmmm ... this is for his heart, right? Sounds like they're going
          to sedate/anesthesize him for the ultrasound. Is Taffy a terror
          at the vets? If not, I would not let them sedate or anesthesize
          him for an ultrasound. It is simply not necessary (& not worth
          the risk).

        • lkshaw@msn.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
            Cynthia,

            I just remembered one other thing. A few years ago, one of the vet
            tech at my vet's was new, and thought the all cats had to be fasted
            for all ultrasounds. I asked to speak to the vet, who appologized
            explained she was new, and told me that no, no fasting was required.

            --Kirsten
          • Anyes Moscrip
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
              Cynthia Rausch wrote:

              > Hi Everyone,
              >
              > Taffy will be going in at 2:00 pm, for his ultrasound, now they have
              > just phone me and told me that I cannot feed him after 7:00 tonight.
              >
              > That means he will not receive anything 19 hours, is this a normal
              > practice? When we were booked at the other Clinic, I asked whether
              > this needed to be done and they he could have his fluids and eat.

              I don't know that this is necessary. When we did the ultrasound, we had no
              such instructions. Are they doing other tests that warrant this?

              Anyes and the girls