Carmens prognosis not good

  • Ildiko
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 20, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      I returned from the cardiologist yesterday. Carmen still has a small amount of fluid in her lungs despite very aggressive diuretic regimen. Its an amount we can live with as her breathing is still very easy. He is reluctant to reduce her diuretic dosage for fear her fluids will come back as we have had a hard time with this in the last month (two hospital visits to remove fluid). However, even though her kidneys are still very strong her electrolyte balance is terrible. Her potassium and sodium is very low and causing her muscle weakness and twitching, as well as lethargy. Cardio gave me a paste called Rena Kare gel a potassium gluconate supplement to be given 3x daily.

      He basically told me if her quality of life doesn't improve from the potassium supplementation in about a week or so we may want to consider putting her to sleep. Its hard because she still rubs up against me, jumps into bed to sleep with me at night and meows and comes out for food. She even spent a good few minutes yesterday kneading her cat bed! It just that besides those things she very tired. But I still see these as signs of life and am not ready to let her go, but my biggest fear is that she may slide into heart failure again and I definitely don't want her to be gasping for air and suffering and having to put her down in a rush.

      So while I am still praying for improvement and just treasuring every moment with her (I spent extra time laying in bed this morning with her and keep her cat bed next to my desk while I work, am truly lucky that I work from home), I just dont want her to suffer. She was a rescue kitty, found in a terrible neighborhood, and went from wild cat to glued to my side. I am devastated.

      Any feedback would be welcome on how this electrolyte situation has been dealt with...

      Hugs to you and all your kitties
      Ildiko
    • JpG
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 20, 2009
        I wanted to give a hug to Carmen. I wish her and you the best. Just take it a day at a time. Granted you don't want her to suffer but it sounds like she still shows signs of life despite her condition. What a sweet courageous kitty.

        Joe (Beanie, Chelsea and April (RIP))
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Ildiko" <ildikojuhasz@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I returned from the cardiologist yesterday. Carmen still has a small amount of fluid in her lungs despite very aggressive diuretic regimen. Its an amount we can live with as her breathing is still very easy. He is reluctant to reduce her diuretic dosage for fear her fluids will come back as we have had a hard time with this in the last month (two hospital visits to remove fluid). However, even though her kidneys are still very strong her electrolyte balance is terrible. Her potassium and sodium is very low and causing her muscle weakness and twitching, as well as lethargy. Cardio gave me a paste called Rena Kare gel a potassium gluconate supplement to be given 3x daily.
        >
        > He basically told me if her quality of life doesn't improve from the potassium supplementation in about a week or so we may want to consider putting her to sleep. Its hard because she still rubs up against me, jumps into bed to sleep with me at night and meows and comes out for food. She even spent a good few minutes yesterday kneading her cat bed! It just that besides those things she very tired. But I still see these as signs of life and am not ready to let her go, but my biggest fear is that she may slide into heart failure again and I definitely don't want her to be gasping for air and suffering and having to put her down in a rush.
        >
        > So while I am still praying for improvement and just treasuring every moment with her (I spent extra time laying in bed this morning with her and keep her cat bed next to my desk while I work, am truly lucky that I work from home), I just dont want her to suffer. She was a rescue kitty, found in a terrible neighborhood, and went from wild cat to glued to my side. I am devastated.
        >
        > Any feedback would be welcome on how this electrolyte situation has been dealt with...
        >
        > Hugs to you and all your kitties
        > Ildiko

      • Cathy Mack
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 20, 2009
          Hi there,

          I'm sorry to hear about the results, but a low potassium is not that difficult to correct. I had a kitty that had such low potassium that she started walking on her "hocks" of her back legs, instead of the pads of her feet, and hanging her head low. We supplemented with Tumil-K potassium, and she returned to normal within just a few days. We had to continue the potassium however to prevent it from occurring again. Too much potassium is also dangerous, so you'll need to monitor the situation so that while she gets enough, it's not too much either.

          HTH,
          Cathy

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2009
              Hello there,
              Really sorry to hear about the problems with your cat. I am having similar problems with mine. She needs a subcutaneous furosemide injection about once a week because of a respiratory rate of above 44 breaths per minute. Since diagnosed 6 weeks ago, she has been in and out of the hospital 3 times with pulmonary oedema (fluid on the lungs). However, she seems happy, she has not lost any weight, is eating well and reasonably active still. Last night she was breathing regularly between 44-50 breaths per minute so I gave her an additional oral dose of furosemide last night. This morning she was no better so I gave her an injection. After 2 hours still no better so I called the hospital and they said to monitor her up to lunchtime as it takes longer for cats to respond to the furosemide the longer they have been on it etc. But she did say to me that if she carries on like this the prognosis is not good and I could tell she was implying that I should consider putting her to sleep. I find it really hard to accept that though because apart from her increased resp rate she does not appear unhappy or uncomfortable. She has a great appetite and "talks" to me a lot still. Its so hard. How can you justify puttin an animal to sleep when they appear so full of life still? Obviously if she was in pain then I would, of course I would.

              She is now on 16mg furosemide twice a day, 2.5ml of imidapril (liquid version of enalapril) and 5mg of spironolactone once per day.