Taffy's Ultrasound

  • Cynthia Rausch
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi Everyone,

      Taffy will be going in at 2:00 pm, for his ultrasound, now they have
      just phone me and told me that I cannot feed him after 7:00 tonight.

      That means he will not receive anything 19 hours, is this a normal
      practice? When we were booked at the other Clinic, I asked whether
      this needed to be done and they he could have his fluids and eat.

      I wonder what's going on?

      Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel
    • Laura Penny
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
        Cynthia,

        I wouldn't let them put him out unless he is absolutely impossible to
        handle. Neither Lucky nor Kassy has ever been put out, and they've had at
        least six ultrasounds each. I've also taken a number of SPCA cats for
        echocardiograms, and only two very difficult ones were sedated.

        Kassy says every swear word in the book, and Lucky sheds half her coat, but
        they eventually give in.

        Good luck! Let us know as soon as you get the results.

        Laura

      • lkshaw@msn.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
          --- In feline-heart@y..., Cynthia Rausch <crosseye@t...> wrote:
          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > Taffy will be going in at 2:00 pm, for his ultrasound, now they have
          > just phone me and told me that I cannot feed him after 7:00 tonight.
          >
          > That means he will not receive anything 19 hours, is this a normal
          > practice? When we were booked at the other Clinic, I asked whether
          > this needed to be done and they he could have his fluids and eat.
          >
          > I wonder what's going on?
          >
          > Cynthia, Taffy, Samuel

          It depends on what they are ultrasounding. If it's just the heart,
          food doesn't matter. If they are checking anything in the digestive
          system, they do like the cat to have fasted.

          --Kirsten
        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
            Hmmm ... this is for his heart, right? Sounds like they're going
            to sedate/anesthesize him for the ultrasound. Is Taffy a terror
            at the vets? If not, I would not let them sedate or anesthesize
            him for an ultrasound. It is simply not necessary (& not worth
            the risk).

          • lkshaw@msn.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
              Cynthia,

              I just remembered one other thing. A few years ago, one of the vet
              tech at my vet's was new, and thought the all cats had to be fasted
              for all ultrasounds. I asked to speak to the vet, who appologized
              explained she was new, and told me that no, no fasting was required.

              --Kirsten
            • Anyes Moscrip
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2001
                Cynthia Rausch wrote:

                > Hi Everyone,
                >
                > Taffy will be going in at 2:00 pm, for his ultrasound, now they have
                > just phone me and told me that I cannot feed him after 7:00 tonight.
                >
                > That means he will not receive anything 19 hours, is this a normal
                > practice? When we were booked at the other Clinic, I asked whether
                > this needed to be done and they he could have his fluids and eat.

                I don't know that this is necessary. When we did the ultrasound, we had no
                such instructions. Are they doing other tests that warrant this?

                Anyes and the girls