Re: [FH] Weird water drinking

  • moonpye
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
      Hi Cathy,

      Excessive water drinking *may* be a sign of CRF, Hyperthyroidism or
      Diabetes.

      Heart meds and Lasix can have an effect on kidney function..

      It may be that Winston is just looking for fresh water that tastes different
      from his water bowls, but if you are worried and it seems excessive then I
      would bring him to the vet for full bloodwork including T4 test for
      Hyperthyroidism, renal panel and a urinalysis..

      Candace with Cinnamon and Skylar

      On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 2:08 AM, cathy coleman <catherama@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      > I'm wondering if any of you has experience w/ this or can shed any light
      > on it. My cat, WInston, is exhibiting weird water drinking patterns. He is
      > drinking water everywhere but his dish -- which is full of clean water. He's
      > jumping up and drinking water out of dishes soaking in the sink; he's drunk
      > out of the toilet a few times, and even drank water that had beaded up on
      > the bathtub mat in the bathtub! I don't get it. His water dish is clean and
      > full of fresh water. I've brought him over to it a bunch of times. He looks
      > at it and cries and before you know it, he's back up jumping into the sink.
      > He's on lasix and I know that can cause dehyradtion. He doesn't seem
      > dehyrated I dont think. At first, I just thought this was weird and just
      > about the allure of the forbidden, but now... I don tknow. I'm a lttle
      > worried. Anyone ever see this? Shoudl I be worried?
      > Cathy & Winston
      >

      > At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new
      > possibilities. ~Jean Houston

    • Cathy Mack
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
        I have 3 perfectly healthy kitties that will drink from everywhere EXCEPT their water dish. They drink from the sinks, the shower, any puddles they can find and they especially love the WATER PIK! I think it's a cat thing and not necessarily a sign of illness.

        HTH,
        Cathy

        ________________________________

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
          Hi

          Yes, it sounds as if meds need adjusting. Trixi went on 4 hour lasix regime
          at her worst.. ((although we were allowed to skip the 4am after a few
          days) and then 6 hours and now 8 hours.. and spironolactone helps with fluid
          build up too.

          My cat had vetmedin and that was an absolute life saver after her heart
          attack. It was a trial drug, but it worked for us. Don't give up hope! It's a
          case of tweaking the meds to get the CHF under control and the good news is
          you caught it early.

          Lyn..