Possible heart problem signs if cat cannot lay on side

  • darlenehandley
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2009
      From the research I have done since Helmet passed, if a cat can't lay down on it's side – like they usually do – and they prop themselves up against something or sit on their sternum (with paws tucked under them) and you don't see them lay on their side at all – then it could be a sign of CHF or fluid build up. Some cats like to lay with their paws tucked under them, but if that is the only way they lie, or appear to be uncomfortable lying on their side, then it could be more.

      Immediately after Helmet's IBD biopsy surgery, when at home, he couldn't lay on his side for very long. He had to lay in such a way that propped himself up. I attributed this to the IBD surgery and his sore intestines and bowels. But, looking back now, that could have also been the beginning of heart problems.

      They prop themselves up because it relieves the pressure of the fluid build-up.

      Just some food for thought.

      Darlene & Angel Helmet
    • JpG
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2009
        Hi Darlene,

        Sorry to hear about your beloved Helmet.

        When I read your post I immediately thought of little April. The thing is we aren't sure when she got HCM since she wasn't diagnosed and asymptomatic. And I vividly recall her last nite with us how she had laid on her side which we found a bit out of the ordinary. ON the other hand, weeks before she had a habit of sitting up, which she had never done before.