Re:Am worried for my HCM cat with recurring pulmonary oedema

  • elfinmyst@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
      Hi

      It sounds as if Marley's CHF is not under control. How much oral frusimide
      is she getting each day? When my cats don't get full control with the
      tablets, they get the intravenous, but that usually works quickly. Have they
      considered adding a second diuretic like spironolactone? That works in
      combination and is quite effective. If she has bad edema, they may do a chest tap
      to get it under control first, but if she's eating and playing, it's a good
      sign.

      What other drugs is she on to help her heart?

    • banditbabe32
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
        Strange - I had replied to the previous post but it did not show on the messsages page.

        She was on 2ml of Frusol (liquid form) twice a day and after problems this weekend is now going to be on 2ml three times a day. The cardiologist has also decided to add 1/4 tablet of spironolactone from today. She is also on 0.25ml of Imidapril (liquid again as Marley has trouble taking pills).

        I am a little concerned about severe facial dermatitis developing (according to research, one third of Maine Coon cats developed this after taking spironolactone) but she is not a Maine Coon, just a normal moggy. However, the risk outweighs not giving it because if her fluid does not clear up then it doesnt look good for her long term outlook.