RE: [FH] Am worried for my HCM cat with recurring pulmonary oedema

  • Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
      And spiro can also be used in conjunction with lasix, right?

      Linda

      _____

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2009
        Yes, you can use both together. Lasix is better for one kind of fluid and Spironolactone another (can't remember which is which though). Our angels Chris and Sweetie were on both at one time.

        Carol and Snowball and the gang

      • elfinmyst@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2009
          Hi

          It sounds as if Marley's CHF is not under control. How much oral frusimide
          is she getting each day? When my cats don't get full control with the
          tablets, they get the intravenous, but that usually works quickly. Have they
          considered adding a second diuretic like spironolactone? That works in
          combination and is quite effective. If she has bad edema, they may do a chest tap
          to get it under control first, but if she's eating and playing, it's a good
          sign.

          What other drugs is she on to help her heart?

        • banditbabe32
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2009
            Strange - I had replied to the previous post but it did not show on the messsages page.

            She was on 2ml of Frusol (liquid form) twice a day and after problems this weekend is now going to be on 2ml three times a day. The cardiologist has also decided to add 1/4 tablet of spironolactone from today. She is also on 0.25ml of Imidapril (liquid again as Marley has trouble taking pills).

            I am a little concerned about severe facial dermatitis developing (according to research, one third of Maine Coon cats developed this after taking spironolactone) but she is not a Maine Coon, just a normal moggy. However, the risk outweighs not giving it because if her fluid does not clear up then it doesnt look good for her long term outlook.