Heart disease and renal failure question

  • cococy45
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
      Tootsie had bloodwork done this week and I have a few questions. First a brief history:

      Tootsie was dx with crf in 2002 following emergency surgery for complete intestinal blockage. She was 10y/o. Being a persian, I was concerned that the renal problem was due to polycystic kidney disease so we had US done and she did not have pkd. I wanted to know why she had this condition so we took her to Ohio State Univ. vet school for complete evaluation. They saw on her xrays that she has multiple stones in her kidneys, one ureter, and her bladder. We have been so fortunate that she has never blocked! By the end of 2002 her creatinine was at the highest it has ever been and that is 4.0.

      At that time we started her having acupuncture treatments monthly and her renal values dropped to just above normal range, so that's around 2.3 depending on the lab.

      The first couple years she had bloodwork about every 6 months but became increasingly difficult for the vet to draw so we went to yearly.

      The only time her creatinine has risen was when she had great pain and difficulty walking back in 2007 when we again took her to OSU. She has arthritis and bone spurs down her back and also her front elbows. We increased the frequency of the acupuncture and the creatinine returned to the previous level of 2.3 which is only 0.2 above normal.

      This year she had bloodwork done in June as she just wasn't right and her creatinine was 2.0 (we also changed vets) and on this scale norm is 0.6 to 2.4 so she was completely within normal range as was her BUN!
      Her recheck this week has her creatinine at 1.8 and BUN at 27 (normal range 14 to 36).

      When her June bloodwork and urinalysis did not show a problem, we had her blood pressure checked as no vet had ever done that. Her bp was 240/182 - she saw a cardiologist two days later!

      Have ya'll ever heard of such a thing? At this point we're all wondering if she ever did have crf! The cardiologist says that we should continue everything we do for her, including giving her subq fluids every other day...don't rock the boat. She's been getting subq since the end of 2002.

      She sees the cardiologist again this coming week.

      carol and the girls